Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

emerson model ewt19s3 remote reader

Status
Not open for further replies.

a12k

Hello.

I'm not quite sure whether the problem I bring is along the lines of this forum--if not, I do apologize.

I have an emerson model ewt19s3 TV. The remote control reader on the tv doesn't work most times. I'm sure its not the remote. Is there a way I can troubleshoot this? Could there be a loose part inside? Can I fix this myself?

Thanks and Regards.

a12k said:
Hello.

I'm not quite sure whether the problem I bring is along the lines of this forum--if not, I do apologize.

I have an emerson model ewt19s3 TV. The remote control reader on the tv doesn't work most times. I'm sure its not the remote. Is there a way I can troubleshoot this? Could there be a loose part inside? Can I fix this myself?

If remote control is intermittent it's FAR more likely to be the remote and not the TV, remotes get dropped and knocked about, so it's common to get dry joints in them. Usual places are the IR LED, the resonator, the electrolytic across the battery, and the batteru contacts.

Nigel has covered the most common problems, I would like to add one other:

The rubbery ( elastomer ) membrane pad that makes up the buttons on the remote, or the circuit board connections below the buttons. Sometimes the conductive paint that is used on the membrane or the circuit board gets dirty and needs a quick rub with a Q-tip lightly dampened in isopropyl alcohol. If soda or similar has been spilled on the remote, use water on the q-tip to clean.

There should be a black spot on the back of the buttons, or the rubber membrane below the buttons. The idea is to clean it, not remove it.

Why I say the remote works is that when you loook at the remote transmitter through a camera, you can see it sending a signal every time. Is that a reliable way to check that a remote works?

Having said that, I know I've been a culprite and dropped my remote a few times.

Should I get a universal remote and test it using that?

I would think that's a pretty reasonable test. Generally they work or they don't. Aside from weak batteries ( which I bet you have changed ) there is not much more to suspect.

Only other thin I can think of is poor range caused by a dirty lens on the remote, or the TV. Some remotes have the LED exposed, if so, it's not that.

If anyone in the house smokes, it can coat the window ( inside and out ) on the front of the remote with a sticky film that attracts dust and limits the range of the remote. Same applies for the TV. The remotes window is easy to clean, the TV's, well not so much.

As an aside, some TV's have an maddening narrow "viewing cone" for the remote control, and anything that weakens the remote signal magnifies the problem greatly. My JVC is like that, once the batteries get slightly weak, it's like laser tag with the remote.

a12k said:
Why I say the remote works is that when you loook at the remote transmitter through a camera, you can see it sending a signal every time. Is that a reliable way to check that a remote works?

No, all it shows is it's transmitting 'something', not that it's transmitting the correct signal - although it does probably eliminate the chance of a dry on the LED.

Having said that, I know I've been a culprite and dropped my remote a few times.

Doesn't everyone!.

Should I get a universal remote and test it using that?

Sounds a reasonable idea, or try your remote on a similar TV?.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back