emg select guitar humbucker

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArtOfShred87

i have an Emg humbucker that has a damaged casing and i want to remove it and possibly rewire the entire pick up. i just dont know where to start i would say for saftey sake im still a beginner. ive read that these are sometimes solderd to the pickup. all the info i found where for a specific gibson style humbucker which i beleive has a brass casing, this one on the emg seems like plastic or something. ive included some photos any suggestions on how to remove the casing? Any info regarding this subject would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You,
JM

Attachments

• DSCN0804.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 648
  • DSCN0815.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 805
Last edited:
From looking at those pictures the box is permanently sealed with potting compound so trying to get it apart will only destroy any parts within

I've got one of these pickups and Bryan is right, you'll likely break a wire. Most pickups use 42/43 gauge wire which is very thin and fragile. I assume you want the tabs back on there so you can have screw posts available again. Just fabricate another tab and epoxy it on, it doesn't have to be threaded you can use small rubber grommets, which is how my Fender Strat attaches the pickups to the pickguard. If you are interested in making pickups check this book out.

Amazon.com: Guitar Electronics for Musicians (Guitar Reference) (9780711902329): Donald Brosnac: Books

It's pretty dated but has some fantastic schematics and diagrams.

epoxy potted..... extremely difficult to remove without totally destroying the inside
don't mess with it, it's probably not broken inside. do a resistance reading on it between hot and ground on the cable, should be 50kohms or less. if so, it's ok. if it reads open circuit, it's bad...

try gluing the ears back on it with epoxy and maybe a piece of stiff plastic material as a backing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…