Energy meter design

Status
Not open for further replies.
i wanted to to use four opamps two for current and two for voltage for rectifying ac signal. And by the way i forgot to mention. I removed that 470 nF capacitor as it blew off when i connected it first( my fault , the capacitor wasnt rated for that voltage) Il get a 470nf rated to 250v and try again

If your mains voltage is 230VAC then its peak voltage is 325V so the capacitor and rectifiers should be rated for more, 400V.

No offence indended (I'm only mentioning this for your own safety's sake) but if you didn't know that then perhaps you don't have enough experiance to build this.

ya im new my experience is just few months.. im learning lots of things from this forum. thanks to electro-tech

If your mains voltage is 230VAC then its peak voltage is 325V so the capacitor and rectifiers should be rated for more, 400V.

thanks for that, for a moment i forgot that capacitor rating are dc ratings

by the way my current progress: i wound a current transformer on my own. Actually modified the old one with original turns ratio 10:1 to 50:1 by adding forty more turns. Soldered the circuit and now i should write a program for it.

Last edited:
desperadogear said:
okay i will get a non-polarised one

I wouldn't have thought it would be a problem?, a 470nF 400V capacitor is going to be VERY difficult to find as a polarised one!

The only reason polarized capacitors exist is to increase the size to capacitance ratio. nf capacitors aren't exactly large, no need to reduce their size.

But 470nF capacitors at 400V are quite large, I've seen 100nF 450V electrolytics before so I don't see why 470nF electrolytic capacitors shouldn't exist.

That's only because the insulation thickness is so high, and capacitance is directly related to the distance between the plates. Oxide insulators aren't practically able to be deposited at the thickness required for high voltages except at exponentially increasing costs. The reason low voltage electrolytics are so small is because the oxide layer is absurdly thin, and not high voltage stable.

Last edited:
Hero999 said:
But 470nF capacitors at 400V are quite large, I've seen 100nF 450V electrolytics before so I don't see why 470nF electrolytic capacitors shouldn't exist.

Have you?, I never have - the smallest electrolytics I've seen (and they are fairly uncommon) is 0.47uF (470nF) but not at 400V.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…