ESD Issue? Kind of long

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have all that and you still got an arc to the PC? or is the mat new? I've never used a ground strap in my life, all you have to do is touch the PC case itself and you're instantly grounded.. Invest in a humidifier for the area or something! If after touching a grounded object for a few seconds you're still able to produce an arc a short timer later something weird is going on.

No, the mat was added after the 2nd failed mobo. Since adding the mat, I've not experienced any ESD arc. I wish I had remembered to touch the metal on the back of my PC case, I most likely would not have ever had a problem.

However, my desk and PC have been in this exact same location for 10+ years and I never had an issue with ESD and so I was not in the habit of touching the metal on my case prior to these latest events.

I've had 4 different PCs I've built in this same location and never a problem until building the new system I have now. So that's why the ESD/or whatever it was, seemed to be isolated to something in the new PC rather than my residential electrical system (not that something could not have changed with my electrical system...but it has been thoroughly checked twice). Come to think about it, I've built/repaired a couple dozen other computers for others in this same space without ever experiencing an ESD issue.

Seems like my problems has to be the Plastic Mounting Brackets or PSU. ???

My PC Specs:
ASUS M2N-E
AMD 64 X2-5200+
2GB Corsair XMS PC2-6400
GeForce 7900gt Ko

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…