Espresso

Status
Not open for further replies.

HarveyH42

Banned
I was up at Walmart buying a new microwave oven, picked up a cheap GE $46 model, and saw they were stocking some espresso makers for $29.92, so bought one. Mr. Coffee model #ECM250.

I started roasting my own coffee about a year ago, and make some pretty good coffee. Been curious about espresso, but machines were kind of spendy, and I didn't need a lot of the features to make latte or crappuccino. I like strong, straight, black coffee. At home I use an automatic drip coffee maker, at work I make it cowboy style (dump the grounds into boiling water (microwaved). The work coffee has a much better flavor.

Having had no previous experience with espresso, I'm impressed. The only downside is this machine only makes 4 x 2 oz servings, or one normal sized cup at a time. There several things I'm unsure about, and figure I'll get it figured out eventually. First is the roast. When I was studying roasting techniques, espresso was always refered to as a very dark roast, almost burnt. Seemed kind of destructive of the coffee flavor, and would expect it to be bitter. Will try a batch next time I roast. The second is packing the grounds in the filter. The machine came with sort of a multi-tool. My first pot I used the scoop as a measure, and packed it down. Didn't seem like a lot of grounds for 8 ounces of coffee, but what did I know. The coffee came out with good flavor, and about the same strength as what I make at work. Definately stronger then the drip. Always thought espresso was very strong, so next pot I filled the filter full, then packed it down. It came out about 2/3rds full. It turned out stronger, little bitter. This last one, I packed the filter full to almost the top. Very strong and bitter. I think half full packed will give a good result. Have no idea how tightly compressed the grounds should be packed, been going for good enough to hold together.

Anyway, hope to hear from anybody with experience in make espresso, just to see if I'm doing right or wrong, and what is the best roast. Also kind of though it was worth pointing out the $30 machine. It's seems pretty well constructed for what is normally expect in low priced machines.

Does it send 130-150PSI water through the coffee? If not it's not espresso. Not sure how you would measure that kind of commercial device, but I would not trust espresso out of a Wallmart machine. Photos would actually help =) Before during and after photo's espcially some good closeups of the brew at various stages.

Photos would actually help =)
It is here.
**broken link removed**
I never touch coffee. Gives me indigestion.
Now a good smoothie thats the ticket.

I was up at Walmart buying a new microwave oven, picked up a cheap GE $46 model
It's almost worth buying that for the components : HV transformer, HV capacitor, High Power Magnetron, motor, timer, switches !

EG:
Assembled in Country of Origin: USA and/or Imported
Origin of Components: USA and/or Imported
The specs from the Walmart page are not that helpful or informative.

If the machine does what it says (IE: makes espresso) then it's a truly fantastically low price !

I thought I got a good price from Lidl at £7 for a pop corn maker that looks exactly the same as those for £15 in other shops. - I use the pop corn maker for roasting coffee beans

A couple of years ago i did find a Delonghi automatic expresso maker at 1/3 of normal price though that was still very expensive. The coffee anoraks will criticise the automatic machines but I'm happy with it. I get espresso coffee without all the time consuming ritual. Using already roasted beans I can be enjoying an espresso within 5 minutes of switching the machine on.

I've found the main difference is with the beans.

Last edited:
I didn't see a specs for temperature or pressure. Must be enough pressure to shoot 8 ounces of water through the grounds in maybe 10 seconds or so. The Mr. Coffee website didn't offer any specs on the machine either.

I started roasting last summer with an old hot air popper (had it for over 20 years). Few months ago I built a bigger and better roaster. Uses a a small convection oven and Stir-Crazy popcorn popper. Usually do a one pound batch. Haven't tried more than 1.5 (took 26 minutes).

I had 4 pots of espresso yesterday. The last one I packed the filter about 2/3 full for the full 4 servings, and it turned out nice. So far only used my usual Costa Rican beans, but will try some of the African beans I roasted last week. I'm set for green coffee for a couple of months, but what beans are best espresso? Haven't done any looking yet, the espresso machine was an impulse buy (hardly ever do that, but had already expected to spend that money on the microwave).

Haven't tore into the old microwave yet, because of the new toys. The new microwave works great, but think its kind of cheaply built. Kind of noisy, the turntable speed varies when the power level changes. Only used the pre-programmed Reheat function, but got a hunch the power supply is a little weak and will eventually fail. I think my old one's timer is what failed, turns kind of freely. It hasn't timed in years, so maybe just replace with a simple on/off switch, and keep it for a back up.

Took some pictures of the machine at work, first cup of the day.

Attachments

• Espresso01.jpg
    514.4 KB · Views: 268
  • Espresso02.jpg
    465.7 KB · Views: 311
  • Espresso03.jpg
    367.8 KB · Views: 282
HarveyH42 said:
Anyway, hope to hear from anybody with experience in make espresso, just to see if I'm doing right or wrong ...
I don't make espresso, but it seems to me that if you enjoy the process and the results, then you're doing something right ...
Jeff

I suspect the cheap espresso machines are basically electric mocha pots (no pump).

I've had coffee made with stovetop mocha pots. The folks who use them make very strong coffee with good flavor.

It definitely isn't worth paying a lot of money for a machine if it doesn't have a high pressure pump.

Doesn't boiling water in a sealed chamber create a good deal of pressure?
I'm not 100% sure, need to watch it a few more times, but the steam pressure may be just forcing the boiling water through the grounds. Really not sure about how espresso should be made. Really should hit the search engine. For $30 guess it's close enough.

Not to intentionally rain on your parade but keep an eye on any consumer product made by Mr. Coffee or Black & Decker as they often live short lives and even have the potential for home damage!

B&D shoulod stick to producing their almost worthless Firestorm powertools. That's a wannabe line of powered handtools that has dreams of someday sitting on the same shelf alongside with Makita, DeWalt, Bosch, and Milwaukee.

So who produces DeWalt tools ?

(Is it the same one who bought out Elu tools?)

CheapSlider said:
So who produces DeWalt tools ?

(Is it the same one who bought out Elu tools?)
DeWalt still has a major part in their saw division since they are the gurus at it. Black & Decker has the marketing and consumer confidence from way back when they made a good name for themselves. B&D bought the floundering DeWalt line years back to rekindle B&D's product line. B&D didn't know how to make a good power saw (other than the SawCat model) but DeWalt sure did. So they branded the tools with the honorable DeWalt name, kicking sales way up. B&D did produce a high end industrial line (like ELU) named Super Cyclone of which I have a 12v cordless drill that refuses to give up the ghost. The DeWalt drills are clones of the Cyclone series to this day in a yellow/black case.

The current line up of Firestorm tools have been greatly improved from earlier models... however only those top model Firestorm units are seen at the borgs since Target, WallyWorld, Kmart and such carry the low end Firestorm crud.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…