Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

European circuit terminology

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrophyGuy

On the circuit attachment is the designation V with a subscript of dd. Vdd, as I understand it is Positive.

There are 2 connections for a 470K potentiometer. One controls the motor speed, one controls the pulse duration. The subscript on those 2 connections and on pin 11 appears to be Vdo, as opposed to Vdd. I could not find what Vdo means. Does anybody know?

It could be that the connections are all Vdd, but since the superscript is so tiny, and it is European, I thought I would seek counsel of others who might know more than I do.

The basic question is simply, is there a Vdo designation? If so, what does it represent?

The circuit is for controlling the speed of a small pulse motor. It runs on 5 volts and the Vdd is the positive rail and Vss is the negative.

It may look like Vdo, but it is definitely Vdd.

JimB

hi TG.
I would say that they are all Vdd.

Enhanced your image a little, quality is always a problem with jpg images

Hi,

It is VDD.

PS:

A hint should be the VSS. When you see VSS, you should expect VDD (The S is for Source, and the D is for Drain. FETs are used.). When you see VCC, you should expect VEE (The C is for Collector, and E is for Emitter. BJTs are used.).

GND is also used.

In some courses where we use BJT transistors, we talk in VCC and GND / VEE. When we do microelectronics and CMOS, (metal1, metal2, poly) etc.. We talk VDD and VSS.

Last edited:
actually i would venture a guess that schematic originated in the US, not europe. in europe, the resistors are drawn with rectangles, not zigzags. that plus the use of 2N and 1N numbers for the transistor and diodes, whereas most european designs use BC or BD numbered transistors. just an educated guess....

Thank You for answering.

Thank you so much for all your assistance. I appreciate it very much.

I believe that the circuit originated in Spain, but I am not sure.

It is always nice when people who have great knowledge, help those who are not as blessed. ;)

Well, I'm from Algiers and we pretty much use the French system in a lot of things .. I even study in French, and all.. However, we use the proper, correct symbols. The U.S ones even though we really are not very much U.S inclined in the education system.

Using the U.S symbols avoided me getting into arguments with teachers because there is no way I would have used stupid EURO symbols for logic gates, resistors, etc.. I mean, I can look at a NAND gate, and immediately know it's a NAND in the U.S system.. But it takes me way longer to figure it out in the EURO system.

The point is.. It could have a EURO origin, but the people who drew the circuit followed the U.S style.

For transistors, we use both BC, BD and 1N and 2N things .. All of these are available in my College and they give you what you've asked for..

Last edited:
BONJOUR.
In Canada there are a few French speaking people but almost everybody talks in English except the govenment. We call them FROGS.
The American symbols are the best.

Does anybody actually use the Euro system for logic gates? Incomprehensible, mostly they are. Euro style resistors are easier to draw than zizzags when your main tool is a penzil. Pencil.

Does anybody actually use the Euro system for logic gates? Incomprehensible, mostly they are. Euro style resistors are easier to draw than zizzags when your main tool is a penzil. Pencil.

Yeap. I've seen them mostly in french academic books, and in books by teachers in my college. Needless to say I ditched those books like a hot rock. I didn't want to have anything to do with people who are clinging to something that clearly doesn't work (Anyone with taste would see the ugliness of these symbols) in the name of "principle".

Personally, I find drawing zigzags fun. At least, I KNOW it's a resistor and not some unknown impedance. Maybe inductive load ? Capacitive ? A mixture of resistive and both ? A zigzag is a purely resistive load. A box isn't clear. I like things to be clear. Schematics have been invented to clarify things in the first place.

Exept from that american gates takes a little more skill to draw by hand to look good, I have no personal preference of what I likes best.

But - what came first? The european logic gate symbols or the american logic gate symbols? Just of curiosity - someone that know?

I did european symbols when I went to school to learn about digital basic theory. That was back in '96 and '97, and it needless to say that teaching books is still using european symbols.

Last edited:
i don,'t know who was first come up with a set of symbols for logic gate but my personal preference is american. the only european symbol i prefer over american is resistor. i find it makes less clutter, it is easier to draw even by hand and it is less ambiguous. i've been doing this long before internet and laser printers and whenever there was a smudge on the drawing, there was a chance of doubt if the component was resistor or inductor.

just my $0.02

I too prefer european resistors of same reason. But, there is very easy to forget the cut in wiring so it looks like a fuse symbol.

Other than that, I don't have any preferences for one or another.

i learned electronics at a young age, and could read schematics by age 11. my grandfather had some german made shortwave radios (i still have his Blaupunkt), and the schematics were in a pouch inside the back of the cabinet. once i understood the rectangles were resistors, and the variations in the other symbols (and that commas were used instead of decimal points), they weren't that hard to read, but i still prefer the american symbols, but find some of the european conventions useful (such as a dashed circle around transistors indicating that they are on a heat sink). somebody mentioned the logic gate symbols? technically, the american (easy to read) symbols were supposed to be phased out as obsolete, but because they are so easy to read, people keep using them. unfortunately, though, there are relatively new symbols for D/A and A/D converters that are somewhat confusing, because they look the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back