Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Exaust Fume Ignitor

Status
Not open for further replies.
As a an "old enough to know better, but still young enough to do it" (and done it) aged person here is the simplest way to do it.

Take a second ignition coil and spark plug assy. Mount the plug about 2 inches in from the end of the tail pipe. Take the set of primary wires going to the actual engine coil and run them to a double pole double throw switch. or DPDT relay triggered by a momentary push button switch. Put the engine coil on the normaly closed side. when the switch or relay is triggered it moves the primary power to the ignitor coil shutting off the engine coil.

Wind that engine up, push the button. All of that mixed gas and air go right through the engine into the exaust and get ignited at the end of the pipe!
Being ignited at the end of the pipe the flame front has to travel back against the outgoing exaust pressure it does not cause back firing. It just gives a good multicolored blow torch effect. Very Very Cool at night! :D

Washes down the cylinder walls though, shorter engine life. Unless its a two stroke then it dont care! :(

P.S. If you think your lil engine is cool do it with a cammed out big block V8 with an 800 cfm carb, on propane! A good 5000 RPM burp will do a 10 footer! :eek:

And thats also what the cops call an exibition ticket too! (They cost way more than the ignitor setup)

I miss my old pickup. Darn little old lady drivers! :(

Attachments

• Propane Burp!.JPG
    Propane Burp!.JPG
    146.3 KB · Views: 154
Last edited:
As a an "old enough to know better, but still young enough to do it" (and done it) aged person here is the simplest way to do it.

Take a second ignition coil and spark plug assy. Mount the plug about 2 inches in from the end of the tail pipe. Take the set of primary wires going to the actual engine coil and run them to a double pole double throw switch. or DPDT relay triggered by a momentary push button switch. Put the engine coil on the normaly closed side. when the switch or relay is triggered it moves the primary power to the ignitor coil shutting off the engine coil.

Wind that engine up, push the button. All of that mixed gas and air go right through the engine into the exaust and get ignited at the end of the pipe!
Being ignited at the end of the pipe the flame front has to travel back against the outgoing exaust pressure it does not cause back firing. It just gives a good multicolored blow torch effect. Very Very Cool at night! :D

Washes down the cylinder walls though, shorter engine life. Unless its a two stroke then it dont care! :(

P.S. If you think your lil engine is cool do it with a cammed out big block V8 with an 800 cfm carb, on propane! A good 5000 RPM burp will do a 10 footer! :eek:

And thats also what the cops call an exibition ticket too! (They cost way more than the ignitor setup)

I miss my old pickup. Darn little old lady drivers! :(

I recall years ago reading a article about a guy who had such a flame shooting device on his car. Seems he triggered it while a women wearing nylon stockings was walking across the back. Seems she suffered sever burns, be got arrested, sued and probably became an adult after that.

The true definition of reaching adulthood is not a specific age but rather the first time you have to hire an attorney :rolleyes:

Lefty

Dug though the old picture archives. found that one. It was not my best photo.
The camera person was a little skiddish and missed the big end. :(

And yes I used reasonably safe practices. :D
I never did it near people, other vehicals, off solid ground, never in grass or dry areas either! Parking lots and open dirt only! I promise! :)

***Any insane looking devices,things or actions I ever show have been done using controlled and safe conditions.
I have always tried to put saftey and common sense first.
But I will take any oportunity I can to make something look cool and dangerouseven if its really not! ***

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back