Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Expanadable MemΘry in MP3 Plyers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Electroenthusiast

In MP3 players and Ipods , which use SD/MicroSD Memory cards.
I've seen that Memory Expandable upto 4GB...(somwtimes 4GB/2GB).
Why can't you expand the Memory more than that?
Ex: If it's rated to 2GB, then why cant i use a 8GB Memory card?
I want to know the practical answerΘ

Much of what you are asking depends on the specific unit right down to the model number. Just in the ipod family some use flash memory and some use a tiny hard drive. Each type has its merits and downsides. For example small hard drives have more space but are rougher on the battery. Additionally, the type memory used is accessed by the controller. If a controller has a maximum addressable memory then that is as good as it gets. Some can be expanded and some can't and in the case of those using flash type storage if they can or can't is a function of the controller used.

Ron

...For example small hard drives have more space but are rougher on the battery. Additionally, the type memory used is accessed by the controller...If a controller has a maximum addressable memory then that is as good as it gets. Some can be expanded and some can't and in the case of those using flash type storage if they can or can't is a function of the controller used.
Ron
Hey! yep! It would be due to maximum addressable memory;
The number of memory locations in Flash drive of 8GB will obviously be more than that of a 4GB.
So i think it's all about addressing the memory locations.

What did u mean by 'Rougher on Battery'

This has nothing to do with addressable memory, but SDHC compatibility. Many older and cheaper devices that read SD/MicroSD only support the SD standard and not the newer SDHC standard. SD only officially goes up to 2GB, but can go up to 4GB, hence the 2GB/4GB limit.

EDIT: Link https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Digital

Last edited:
This has nothing to do with addressable memory, but SDHC compatibility. Many older and cheaper devices that read SD/MicroSD only support the SD standard and not the newer SDHC standard. SD only officially goes up to 2GB, but can go up to 4GB, hence the 2GB/4GB limit.

EDIT: Link Secure Digital - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And what about those units that actually use a miniature HDD and not flash memory?

Also, when I mentioned rougher on a battery I was referring to the fact that units that use a miniature HDD and not flash memory requiring more power. There is more than one flavor of storage used.

Ron

Hard Drives and other types of memory have nothing to do with the original question.

I am sorry. I assumed, I guess wrongfully so that the OP was not aware that ipods come in a few flavors with some using flash memory and some using small HDD memory. Actually I don't know why they call it memory as it is actually more like storage. However, again I am sorry for even mentioning that some of these devices use HDDs rather than flash memory.

Ron

Ron, the units at that memory storage level are unless they're REALLY old all flash based. There are some micro HDDs that are used in some types of devices but they start in the hundreds of gigs generally.

Ron, the units at that memory storage level are unless they're REALLY old all flash based. There are some micro HDDs that are used in some types of devices but they start in the hundreds of gigs generally.

Well I have no clue what the OP actually has or what he planned to upgrade to? Clueless on that note. Yeah, the mini HDDs seem to range in the 80 GB to 160 GB flavors as to capacity. As to the flash drive varieties and SD and SDHC. Far as I recall a FAT32 formatted SD drive maximum in theory was 4 GB with most at 2 GB. Beyond 4 GB they were all SDHC which I think began at 4 GB and went up from there.

What I initially suggested was that I didn't think a user could remove for example a 4 GB SDHC card and just shove in for example an 8 GB card. I mentioned the systems controllers ability to address a larger card.

Where I really screwed up was with assumptions like assuming the OP had a newer unit that used SDHC. Not that it overly matters as if the OP had an old lets say 2 GB card they couldn't likely shove a 4 GB SDHC card in and it would work. I did mention to the OP:
Much of what you are asking depends on the specific unit right down to the model number.
Which may hold true. However, the OP never got into detail as to what they had or where they wanted to go. I only mentioned ipods because the OP mentioned them and went off course with the HDDs used by ipods though the OP only mentioned memory cards.

Overall I screwed up. Now I will go wash egg off my face and go to bed. :)

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back