Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Expansion Ports for Linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

desijays

Good Morning,

Is there some kind of expansion board out there, that has lots of GPIO's, I2C, SPI, SSC, USART's, ADC's, USB, Ethernet ? I would like to connect my linux computer to such an expansion board, so that I could interface my linux computer with a few robotic projects that I am currently working on. I know linux on the Desktop is not real time. But at this point, that does not matter. Because, if there is a way to connect any kind of linux box to such an expansion board, at some later date, I can get some sort of SoC(System on chip), install a real time linux kernel in there and connect it to the 'said' expansion board. And that way, I will would still know that whatever application code, I write on the Desktop linux for using the 'expansion board', will still work on the real time kernel of linux when I connect it to the 'expansion board' as well.

I hope It wasn't confusing. : )

Thank you.

(First: I swear I'm not advertising. I've used boards from these guys before and been pretty happy.)

I don't know what your budget is or what your requirements are, and I know this doesn't directly address your question, but perhaps something like a system-on-board would work better for you than a PC.

These things are pretty fun. I have not used the TS-7500 but I have used the TS-7400 quite a bit for work and it's pretty cool what you can do with one. Lots of I/O and you can either run in a barebones Linux which gives you complete control, or you can boot to an SD Card image and have a full installation (I've had apache, C++ programs for power scheduling, a power-controlling print server, and so on running on TS-7400s).

TS-7500 Ultra-Compact 250MHz ARM9 Computer Module with SD Card

(I have no affiliation with the company.)

Regards,

Torben

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back