Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Expendable Soldering supplies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikebits

In the past (through hole parts mostly) I took my soldering haphazard although I am still very good at soldering as I attended a Mil-standard soldering school back in the 80's, and it really was not important at the time (well it was when I was at work, but we had rework people at work), so all I ever used was solder, and solder wick. My requirements have changed. I want to have an efficient work station, and perform quality work with mostly SMT parts. Now I have a basic idea, but I want your sage advice. I would like to order some "expendable" supplies (expendable being key word). I would like to do it with just one order and not as I go along and learn about something I need.

So, could you guys give me a list of supplies to pretty much cover soldering new boards and rework of boards?

Thanks

While doing some research, I came across the NASA standard NASA-STD-8739.3
This Standard:
a. Prescribes NASA’s process and end-item requirements for reliable soldered electrical
connections.
b. Establishes responsibilities for training personnel.
c. Establishes responsibilities for documenting process procedures including supplier
innovations, special processes, and changes in technology.
d. For the purpose of this Standard, the term supplier is defined as in-house NASA,
NASA contractors, and subtier contractors.

For those interested the standard is about 97 pages long and I found a link to the PDF, so I thought some of you may want a copy, so here it is:

**broken link removed**

Well, I did a little more searching and came up with a solder/de-solder rework kit list. Note that not all the items are considered expendable, e.g. tweezers. Have a look at my list and comment and additions or subtractions. After enough time has passed, I will change the list based on majority input. I am also including this list in pdf format for easy printing.

Solder/De-solder Rework Kit

The following information is a recommended list of solder/de-solder rework (SDR) tools.
The list is not either based on any standard nor is at inclusive. The listed items below are
only recommendations based on the experience of industry professionals. By adding the
items on this list to your SDR station inventory list, your SDR times should see an
improvement as well as the quality of work.

Non Lead Free Kit

Note: May substitute other brands, Chip Quik is simply one of many brands available.

Chip Quik Removal Alloy SMD 4.5 (4.5 ft. removal alloy w/instructions)
Solder Paste - no clean 63/37 rework solder paste w/flux in 1 cc syringe w/nozzle &
cap.
Solder 3 ft. 63/37 2% silver .031 in.
Chip Quik Paste flux- no clean flux in 1 cc syringe w/nozzle & cap. Used for
solder/de-solder.
Liquid flux remover/cleaner - 5 cc container w/applicator. (Nonflammable)
Probe kit - 4 stainless steel dental picks for SMD removal & placement.
Super Wick - no clean - 5 ft.
Handi Vac - SMD pick & place tool / w/tips
Acid brush - qty. 2.
Precision tweezers - for SMD removal & placement.
Cleaning wipers - tight weave / low lint 4"x4" qty. 6 (for cleaning PC board).
Swabs - double ended qty. 10. (For PC board clean up)
Alcohol pads - qty. 6. (for PC board clean up)

Lead Free Kit
Removal Alloy: SMD 8NL - 8Ft. Lead-Free Removal Alloy (w/instructions)
Solder Paste: SMD291SNL - No-Clean Lead-Free Rework Solder Paste.. 9g ..
Sn96/Ag3/Cu.5
Solder Wire: SMD 96 - Lead-Free solder wire .031” Diameter 15Ft. 96Sn/3Cu/.5Ag
Paste Flux: SMD291NL - For Lead-Free Solder & Desolder Rework 5cc syringe
w/handle/tip
Liquid Flux - Remover Cleaner… 1oz. Container w / applicator. Nonflammable
Solder Wick - No clean.. ESD Safe.. 5Ft. .055width
Handi-Vac Tool - SMD pick & place w/3 tips
Acid Brush - qty. 2 3/8 wide
Probe Kit - qty. 4 stainless steel Non Magnetic Dental picks...For SMD removal &
placement
Precision Tweezers - qty. 2 Non-Magnetic, For SMD removal, placement & chip
components
Cleaning Wipes - qty. 6 tight weave / low lint 4 x 4in... For cleaning PC board
Swabs - qty. 10. Double ended for PC board clean up

Attachments

• rework_kit.pdf
    8.6 KB · Views: 160
Solder wick/braid is a must. Good solder and by that I mean avoid lead free solder as it is horrible garbage. For flux stripper I use non chlorinated brake cleaner (cheaper ad works better than current stuff). Soldering iron tips. Paste flux.

The fluid flux pens are pretty nice (if expensive) for SMT work, too.

Titanium tweezers.
I hate Sn96, but thats the norm. Some Bismuth alloy solder.

Non-expendable
Be able to preheat other side.

Stereo microscope. At leeast a head magnifier.

Titanium tweezers.
I hate Sn96, but thats the norm. Some Bismuth alloy solder.
I think this is a fantastic idea, most of my tweezers have long since magnetized, and are always picking up small clipped leads laying around the bench. Which brings up, making a tool demag tool. I need to Google that and see how much work is involved other than having an electro-magnet. I did attend a magnetic NDT (non-destructive testing) training class awhile back when I was trying to get back in the work force, but I forgot now. But yeah Titanium tweezers, really a good one for the list.

Thanks

Get a desoldering iron, and tweezers that are normally closed, they are fab for holding chips in place

Large BGA's would probably be impossible There's no harm in exposing us to the technology. I would hope to never have to remove, install and re-ball a large BGA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back