Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Extruded Heat Sink - Long Lengths - Where to Buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Analog

Looking for a source for extruded heat sink at long lengths so I can cut to fit various chassis. I'm in the US, anyone have experience in this? I'm talking about plain aluminum. Usually, sources have different profiles that are standard. Thanks for any help.

Looking for a source for extruded heat sink at long lengths so I can cut to fit various chassis. I'm in the US, anyone have experience in this? I'm talking about plain aluminum. Usually, sources have different profiles that are standard. Thanks for any help.

hi analog.
May sound a little way out, we used to get long lengths of offcuts from a local office installer/outfitter.

The office outfitters in the UK, install panels and glazing in companies to provide extra internal office space etc.

The extrusions are all aluminium and certain 'fancy' profiles have a good surface area for cooling.

Probably not much help, but a number of my friends work for a company called SAPA at Tibshelf, and they are one of the companies who make such things - there's even a nice picture

**broken link removed**

Certainly there are similar companies in the USA, if not even part of the same group - who I believe is (or was) Swedish?.

If you want cheap look locally, delivery charges on materials are ridiculous nowadays. Just look up local stock material shops in your area. Try the yellow pages, under metal wholesalers or if all else fails look up local fabrication shops. Spend a bit of time on the phone telling them who you are and what you're looking for, you should be able to find someplace local that sells a variety of extruded aluminum stock. Even if you find what you're looking for try calling around to a good number of places, you may find a better deal or selection someplace else. Different companies will have different attitudes when dealing with people only purchasing small amounts so you may get the run around at a few places.

Last edited:
Thanks Eric, Nigel and Sceadwian.

Looks like some surplus places also have some stuff, but if anything else comes to mind, please post!

**broken link removed**

Is the most cost effective I have ever come across.

Thanks, they seem to have a wide variety. Looks like the only way to order is to call them? I don't see any prices online.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back