Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

F628A to USB

Status
Not open for further replies.

c36041254

Hi there,
I have a 16F628 and a 16F628A, I want to build a ckt that can do this:

A window open (a software in C++, I don't have VB so ps don't insist for) and the user can write in to it and when user press enter the same phrase appears on the LCD connected to one f628 while I want to use the other f628 as the interface between USB of PC and the PIC that runs LCD.

I don't know where to start, for LCD there are Nigel's tutorials but I don't know anything of USB interface with f628, I know the 18 series is USB enabled but I want to use f628 as I have it at hand.
If any one can guide me on this then any help will be appreciated.

Edit:
Please tell me what type of LCD I should use.

Last edited:
Well there's several types of situations here. We have a USB controller that handles the data protocol. A controller operating as Bus Master is a different thing than acting as Bus Slave. We have a USB transceiver which handles the electrical drive levels required by USB spec. Some (but not all) controller chips have the transceiver built in.

The f628 would need a controller+transceiver and will probably communicate with it via SPI, it would be wise to have a device with a hardware SPI module but the f628 doesn't have one. IIRC a USB-capable 18F device requires a transceiver and only operates as a Slave. Honestly, you'd probably be better off getting an 18F. The fact that you have f628 on-hand helps little, you're going to have to wait for a parts order either way.

Last edited:
The 16F628 series just doesn't have the horsepower to be a USB device, although AVR have managed to bit bash a USB client. The 18F2550 or 18F4550 are both USB enabled and require only minimal parts for the USB (Connector, 0.47uF cap & crystal)
My 18F4550 based Unicorn kit can be built as a USB / LCD terminal, the schematic is in the assembly manual.
Note: the USB stack can be daunting.
If you just want to connect a 16F628 via serial to USB, use a FT232R or better (and probably cheaper) a USB to RS232 adapter.

Is there any good tutorial for USB interface with 18F4550 ? This will be only my second project with MCU after a line follower with 16f628.

Last edited:
Is there any good tutorial for USB interface with 18F4550 ? This will be only my second project with MCU after a line follower with 16f628.

There are a couple of USB example applications at MicroChip - including full details of the PICKIT2.

For only your second project, you're choosing a difficult one.

O.K. if this is difficult than what can be an easy one ? I just want to interface with USB by a PIC, Lightning an LED will also do. I just want to do something advance. If there is anything easier and involves USB interfacing then kindly show me a link.
Edit:
Is not there any full defined project that teach the very basics of USB interfacing ? That is what I'm actually looking for.

Last edited:
O.K. if this is difficult than what can be an easy one ? I just want to interface with USB by a PIC, Lightning an LED will also do. I just want to do something advance. If there is anything easier and involves USB interfacing then kindly show me a link.
Edit:
Is not there any full defined project that teach the very basics of USB interfacing ? That is what I'm actually looking for.

Like I said before, check the MicroChip application notes, there are at least two examples of USB projects.

Thanks, but those Microchip guys always insist upon buying their products, I found this **broken link removed**. I don't think there can be any easier thing with USB than this.Thanks again !

Thanks, but those Microchip guys always insist upon buying their products, I found this **broken link removed**. I don't think there can be any easier thing with USB than this.Thanks again !

hi,
Using your link.
I found this listed, so why cant you get free data and a sample PIC.?

**broken link removed**

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back