Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Failure of polypropylene motor-run capacitors

Diver300

Most Helpful Member
Over the years I've had a couple of motor-run capacitors fail. A plastic cased one had some grey gunk come out of it. Recently I had an aluminium cased polypropylene film capacitor fail, and drop to <10% of its rated capacitance. When I opened it up, there was what looked like lumps of silver grey plastic that had melted, flowed to the bottom of the casing and solidified.

I was just curious as to what is actually going wrong in these capacitors.

Also, the latest one was on the refrigerant compressor of a heat-pump tumble dryer. Would I get better capacitor life and / or lower power consumption if I arranged the the capacitor disconnected after the heat pump started?

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back