Field Effect Tansistors - info?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys I'm new to the forum. I'm from Greece and as the nickname implies I'm studying automation engineering in Greece. The school has a whole lot of electronics and while I have actually passed the exams on the related subjects I found out that I actually do not know a lot about electronics, not because I can't remember what I studied but because it was not taught properly. Well anyway to get to the point, at some point we were taught about JFET amplifiers but I cannot actually recall being taught how FET's work. I was wondering if anyone could help me with that.

Thanks a lot.

Last edited:
Simplistic view: A three terminal (gate, source, drain) device where voltage applied gate-source controls current that flows drain-source. High input impedance, so almost no gate current flows. Down load some JFET and NFET data sheets from the manufacture's web sites and study them.

Last edited:
JFETs have a diode type input gate and are normally on with zero gate-source voltage. The gate is reverse biased to turn the transistor off.

MOSFETS have an insulated gate and are normally off (with few exceptions) with zero gate-source voltage. The gate is forward biased to turn the transistor on.

We have the same problem here in the 'States. I learned far more by sitting in the basement with a hot soldering iron and a pile of parts than I ever learned sitting in some classroom.

Well anyway to get to the point, at some point we were taught about JFET amplifiers but I cannot actually recall being taught how FET's work. I was wondering if anyone could help me with that.

Design Equations:

Id= Idss(1 - Vgs / Vp)^2

Gm= (2 / Vp)[sqrt(Id * Idss)]

Where:

Id: Operating drain current

Idss: Saturation drain current with the gate and source shorted together

Vp: Pinch-off gate voltage

It is necessary to keep in mind that pinch-off voltage, since a JFET won't swing Vds below Vp without clipping and going nonlinear.

This is a depleation device that requires gate bias to turn it off, as opposed to BJTs and a lot of power MOSFETS, both of which are naturally "off", and require gate bias to turn them on.

As for how it works, an N-Channel JFET has a channel consisting of a bar of N-type silicon. The source and drain are connected to opposite ends. The gate is a diffusion of P-type surrounding a small section of the N-type channel to form a PN junction. Reverse biasing that junction pushes its depleation layer into the channel, increasing its resistance, and choking off current. The reverse biased PN junction gives the characteristic Hi-Z input, and the very small gate leakage current. In normal operation, the gate junction must always be reverse biased. If forward biased, it behaves like a normal diode, and amplification ceases.

The other characteristic is that most small signal JFETs don't have nearly the amplification of BJTs. The 2N3819 manages a u= 50 (small signal vacuum tube triode territory). On the upside, they don't produce nearly the same amount of distortion as BJTs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…