Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Figuring ADC values from a phototransistor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mosaic

Hi,

I am looking for comments/advice on this approach.

In order to devise an autodimmer PIC routine fed by a Photo transistor/diode of this type
**broken link removed**

Which goes from dark (20) lux at 70uA (Coll.-Emitter current max) to 100 lux at 200uA , ambient light.

The device is NPN so its a current sink.

That 70ua works out to 5V across a 71k resistor, the 200uA is like 5V across a 33k.

I need some guidance on establishing a decent voltage difference at the ADC pin to measure. I am not sure how much the adc pin's loading will affect this. A pull up resistor is required to provide current sourcing.

Since I am looking for just light or dark switching, perhaps a small capacitor charge/ discharge cct fed by the phototransistor can be timed by a regular input pin. By forcing the cap low (with output low from the pin) and then input sampling until the cap goes logic hi might give a time that decides bright or dark.

If you just want to detect illumination, simply connect the photo transistor directly to an input.
By adjusting the value of the load resistor you will be able to adjust the point at which the circuit changes state.
**broken link removed**

Last edited:
Thats a photo darlington tho. Reg. photodiode/transistors might not push logic highs.

A FPT100 is a single photo transistor and it works even better than the darlington shown in the diagram.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back