Filtering for a signal level detector

throbscottle

I'm making an analogue tachometer for my PCB drilling machine, but the level detector at the end isn't very good - help please!

Here's the setup: The 5 pole motor is driven by a 10KHz PWM signal and does up to 30K RPM. The actual adjustment range starts at about 10K I think.

A 0.1 ohm sense resistor in series with the motor picks up commutator switching and PWM, and goes through a RC filter to get just the commutator signal. This is amplified and turned into pulses to drive a 555 monostable.

So this gets me an extremely jittery PWM signal relating to the speed of the motor, which is fed into a level detector consisting of a diode feeding a 10uF capacitor with a 100k resistor across it. These are just junk-box values I had to hand.

The change in voltage over the speed range is tiny (maybe 50mV), so for one thing I'm hoping someone can suggest a better system! In the absence of a better system, what's a good strategy for filtering the noise from the output what won't slow down the response too much?

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…