Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

finally getting a PIC

Status
Not open for further replies.
alrighty i am finally getting a PIC. but i have few questions

I would like to get a few PICs some for prototyping and some if i wanted to solder it all up i have looked at the newcomers post on this place. the PICs i were thinking of were.

16F628A
16F88
16F876
16F877
and some small ones for some simple projects
12F675
10F206

fist question. i have seen the PICkit2 for usb programing and it looks splendid. but i cant find any prices. or i guess i could program using serial if so how do i do this.

I sell a PICkit2 style programmer / debugger with built in 18F1320 tutor called Junebug. It's everything you need to get started and can grow with you. Also check out the JPUG newsletter with some programs, tips & tricks. The Junebug kit is $49 + $10 S&H You can order directly from me.

I sell a PICkit2 style programmer / debugger with built in 18F1320 tutor called Junebug. It's everything you need to get started and can grow with you. Also check out the JPUG newsletter with some programs, tips & tricks. The Junebug kit is $49 + $10 S&H You can order directly from me.

i was just about to talk to you on skype. thats funny. alright i was looking at the junebug kit. questions

can it program all of the PICs that i stated?
how do i actually connect it to the pic i think i see the ISP cable port on the side. if so how to i connect the isp cable to the breadboard?

Here's the list of supported PICs
**broken link removed**
You'll need to use a 2x5 header I've got some pictures here on the forums I'll just have to find them.

Digikey or Mouser sell them. I have a few of those in stock too. You could attach the Firefly Z (ZIF) socket if you want to program them out of circuit.

Last edited:
Hey Will you said i should program the PIC in sword fish BASIC. but isent any other way by programing it is C++ or C. if so when i see a "sourse code" for a PIC on a website is it in BASIC or C++ or C. and what program would i use.

Hey Will you said i should program the PIC in sword fish BASIC. but isent any other way by programing it is C++ or C. if so when i see a "sourse code" for a PIC on a website is it in BASIC or C++ or C. and what program would i use.
Hi,
There're several programming languages, such as assembly, C, Basic, etc. Just stick with one which you have experience with. They all will work.
If you see source code on the web, they can be any of the languages.
For assembly, check out Nigel's tutorial while for Basic, check out Gramo's tutorial.

If you have a C background then C would be the way to go. MPLAB installs a demo of HiTech C (PICC Lite) so you can get started.

Source code you find on the net can be anything, asm is very common.

i have NO back round in programing. i know binary but nothing but that. but even binary it takes a long time for me to anything more than 20. what one is the easiest.

i have NO back round in programing. i know binary but nothing but that. but even binary it takes a long time for me to anything more than 20. what one is the easiest.

Well there are plenty of examples in assembly language that work without much modification. Even most of the old code for the 16F84 will work with only a few modifications. You can also use MPLAB for free which helps.

I haven't played too much with C but examples aren't as easy to find and there are a number of toolchains. As far as I know, they aren't free.

You'll also get a better appreciation for the hardware if you use assembly, so perhaps start there and work up to C on some of the bigger devices.

Well there are plenty of examples in assembly language that work without much modification. Even most of the old code for the 16F84 will work with only a few modifications. You can also use MPLAB for free which helps.

I haven't played too much with C but examples aren't as easy to find and there are a number of toolchains. As far as I know, they aren't free.

You'll also get a better appreciation for the hardware if you use assembly, so perhaps start there and work up to C on some of the bigger devices.

sounds good
now what program will i use for the junebug and programing the onboard PIC and
the off board PIC i will be using

sounds good
now what program will i use for the junebug and programing the onboard PIC and
the off board PIC i will be using

You can use PICkit 2 or MPLAB. Both are free downloads from Microchip. You can do hardware debugging too.

and they will recconise the onboard PIC. i assume they would

i am still confused how i would connect the junebug to to the breadboard for programing a PIC on the breadboard.
how many volts to PICs need 5 or 3.3 volts

and they will recconise the onboard PIC. i assume they would

With the Junebug you have a built in 18F1320 that you can test with. You enable communication with this by setting the top 3 switches ON.

i am still confused how i would connect the junebug to to the breadboard for programing a PIC on the breadboard.

You can use the 10 pin connector on the right of the board to connect to any (most) other PICs on a breadboard. Just put an IDC socket on one end of the cable and leave the other loose. You get all the necessary pieces with the Junebug.

how many volts to PICs need 5 or 3.3 volts

The official PICkit2 has a programmable power supply that lets you choose 3.3v or 5v PICs. The Junebug doesn't, but the manual shows you how to use them. You just need a couple of diodes and a 3.3v supply, it wont cost more than a few $. The 5v PICs are fine though, so stick with them at first.

yeah 5 volts is fine for me. i normally use usb to power my breadboard. untill i get a good breadboard power supply that lets me choose 3.3 volts 5 volts and 9 volts

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back