finally getting a PIC

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use a right angled IDC socket soldered to a single row header to connect to a breadboard. Here's a picture.

**broken link removed**

Mike.

Last edited:
This is my favorite way of connecting ICSP to the breadboard. I have a bunch of these things.
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

alright this helps a little bit. thanks for the pictures and what not. if you have any more that would help me that would be great.

now are the top row and the bottom row on the socket the same thing because they are connected on the breadboard and is there a pinout on the socket(whatone is power ground and data)

The 2x5 ICD connector on my kits are wired with all the rows connected (so it's actually a 1x5 layout). This allows it to be directly inserted into a breadboard and IMO is the easiest ICD cable for an experimenter to build.

Futz's photo shows VPP (MCLR), +5, GND, PGD (RB7), PGC (RB6)
And yes that's how you'd connect it to a typical 16F or 18F 28pin PIC

Last edited:

i can see the light..................i understand

cool now just to buy the kit and what not

The 2x5 ICD connector on my kits are wired with all the rows connected (so it's actually a 1x5 layout). This allows it to be directly inserted into a breadboard and IMO is the easiest ICD cable for an experimenter to build.
The 2x5 connector is just way more secure than a 1x5 in a breadboard. 1x5 wobbles. 2x5 does not.

They are easy to build but if you have a modern PC they tend not to work. If you have an old 386 machine with serial ports then they are almost guaranteed to work but MPLAB isn't.

Do yourself a big favour and buy a Junebug.

Mike.

They are easy to build but if you have a modern PC they tend not to work. If you have an old 386 machine with serial ports then they are almost guaranteed to work but MPLAB isn't.

Do yourself a big favour and buy a Junebug.

Mike.

i dont have a new computer i have a PIII running XP

Last edited:
If you have all the parts handy then have at it. You'll find they'll either work right away or simply never work. It's all very dependent on your PC and OS.

now i am a little "iffy" junebug or DIY serial programmer.
but it looks so simple in the picture

Attachments

• programmer.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 144
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…