Finding a DPad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salgat

I'm having a difficult time finding either arrow keys or a Directional pad for an electronics project I'm working on. I can't seem to find any on every electronics online store I've searched. Anyone have any ideas? I'd prefer not to scrap existing hardware for it.

Sparkfun had some cool directional button pads, I see they still have the PCB but are missing the actual button part...

Why would you prefer not to scrap existing hardware? You can buy cheap D-pad USB joysticks for only a few dollars, they'll more than likley be cheaper than anything else you'd be able to find online as far as raw components go, it's not something that has much of a market outside of companies that buy in bulk.

I use a pushbutton with a removable cap, like this - http://search.digikey.com/us/en/products/LP6OA1ASRG/EG4639-ND/1950615
Then I print arrow on transparency film, cut them out and stick them in. Pain in the butt, but if you are only doing a few this is fine.

For making more than a few, check into having membrane switches custom made. If you do the layout yourself, they are cheaper than you would probably guess. I had a run of them printed for just a hundred machines, and I think the whole run was less than $2000.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…