Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Firebots project

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I'm new here.
I need some help in building my first robotic project (firebots) for my final project.
The deadline is less than 4 months from now and I am in serious need for someone(s) to help me with my problem.

I need some example code to start writing my own code. I'm using ATMEL 8951 microcontroller.

Do i need motor driver to drive my DC motor (to control the speed etc) and also do i need to install optical encoder?

What is the best sensor to use for the robot to be able to navigate in the maze? I'm thinking of using Sharp GP2D120 for this task (to detect the side and front of the wall from the robot) and Hamamatsu UVTron Flame Detector Package (https://www.acroname.com/robotics/parts/R67-UVTRON.html) to detect the flame from the candle.

You can contact me through my email, terence.churchill@live.com.my or by replying to this post, whichever more convenience for you.
Credits will be given for those who is willing to help me for this projects (i will email my final report for you).

Yes, you need a motor driver since a microcontroller can only provide a small voltage with a small current signal that can't directly drive a motor. If it's a brushed motor one transistor is all that is needed to control speed in one direction. If you need both directions then it's more complicated and you need an H-bridge.

Optical encoders and other navigation things are dependent on what you want to do and how accurately the thing needs to know where it is.

Last edited:
1. Never post your email address.
2. Make sure you plan out your approach to any question.
3. See if you can dig up some resources, google, etc.
4. Ask somebody you know, teacher, student, etc about your question.
5. After doing all these and you are still way behind, then you should think about asking.

Things you will want/need:
Optical encoders to ensure precise movement
Solid state gyroscope to ensure precise turns and proper direction heading.
Thermal IR sensors to make sure you find your heat source.
A computer fan to blow out the flame. Easiest way to do it.
Smallish rectangular body. A few inches smaller than the smallest width of the track/rooms.
If at all possible GPS would make this a cake walk.

If you can accomplish all these I can imagine a successful robot. My robotics team uses all these but the fire elements (fan, thermal sensor) and the base. We can turn 90 degrees exactly. We use mechanical encoders (continuous rotation potentiometers). We have a master programmer who works for himself and is filthy rich, but he only buys what he needs. Very efficient.

As for the sensor if you can read the datasheet correctly if could be your thermal sensor.

Last edited:
1. Never post your email address.
2. Make sure you plan out your approach to any question.
3. See if you can dig up some resources, google, etc.
4. Ask somebody you know, teacher, student, etc about your question.
5. After doing all these and you are still way behind, then you should think about asking.

Things you will want/need:
Optical encoders to ensure precise movement
Solid state gyroscope to ensure precise turns and proper direction heading.
Thermal IR sensors to make sure you find your heat source.
A computer fan to blow out the flame. Easiest way to do it.
Smallish rectangular body. A few inches smaller than the smallest width of the track/rooms.
If at all possible GPS would make this a cake walk.

If you can accomplish all these I can imagine a successful robot. My robotics team uses all these but the fire elements (fan, thermal sensor) and the base. We can turn 90 degrees exactly. We use mechanical encoders (continuous rotation potentiometers). We have a master programmer who works for himself and is filthy rich, but he only buys what he needs. Very efficient.

As for the sensor if you can read the datasheet correctly if could be your thermal sensor.

sorry for posting my email there.
i did do some research on the net but it is just too confusing for me with all the different approach by different people.
the robot i'm planning to bulit might sound extravaganze, but it does not have to be that way because i'm building my first robot and i have no idea on which parts is important and which parts is not.

can someone suggest what is the best approach/parts involved that will my my Firebots works?
I want the robot to turn precisely at every corner and at the same time be able to control its own speed and able to find the heat source and extinguish it perfectly.

Well I'm obviously not an expert on electronics, but about the fire, I suggest you ***do not use*** computer fans to blow flames. The plastic will melt in seconds. What kind of fuel do you have in mind? ignition system?

What are you talking about for the computer fan? How will it melt unless it drives right up and rests it in the flame? If you program it correctly it can stop way before the flame. You seem to have ignored everything and looked at the plastic itself. Computer fan would be easy.

What are you talking about for the computer fan? How will it melt unless it drives right up and rests it in the flame? If you program it correctly it can stop way before the flame. You seem to have ignored everything and looked at the plastic itself. Computer fan would be easy.

I'm so so sorry Krumlink!!!! :eek: You're totaly right, in english blow = turn off the flame = ES: Soplar, not throw the flame! hahaha

Please ignore that, besides the language confusion I was thinking about a fire vortex project I have seen, wich used a plastic fan next to the flames.

Ok, by the way :D the fuel is important... What about the little pump used on the automotive windshield washers? filled with fuel, cheap and very easy to turn on / off

Last edited:
The contest is probably just like the trinity fire fighting contest; uses a candle.

The contest is probably just like the trinity fire fighting contest; uses a candle.

yes.the fire source is from a lit candle.
the computer fan will be just fine to be used in this project.
can someone provide me with example of code in this firebot?
that is the biggest obstacle i need to overcome. someone care to help me with it?I'm in serious s*** right now as the dateline is approaching.

I'm using DC motor to drive the bots and the motor itself is driven by H-bridge motor driver.
Another thing that confused me right now the steering mechanism of the robot. I'm planning to use differential drive system for the robot drive train but i can't seem to find approriate example of projects that implement this kind of system. I need the mathematical equation used to calculate how the robot will turn at every corner.

Are the motors geared? I would have a very slow robot for this project. No need to be speeding around. Use the encoders to count how many times they go around. A lot of this project (or even all) can be done with IF and FOR loops. google for assembly (corect?) FOR and IF Loops and look at some examples.

Are the motors geared? I would have a very slow robot for this project. No need to be speeding around. Use the encoders to count how many times they go around. A lot of this project (or even all) can be done with IF and FOR loops. google for assembly (corect?) FOR and IF Loops and look at some examples.

yes.the motors are geared to 40:1 ratio.
can you advice me on what kind of sensor that is suitable to be use to detect the flame from the candle apart from the UVTron Flame Sensor package that I've mentioned earlier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back