First Project Went Well!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carnivore

Hey All,

tried my first project this week, (first project not done on a radio shack learning kit that is) and it went pretty well.

I found a tutorial online for a Bench-Top Power supply and thought to myself "Hey, I gotta have me one of them there power supplies".

anyway it works great, the tutorial is pretty simple and you end up with something usefull when your done.

output is +12V, -12V, +5V, and -5V. below is a pic of my finished product.

P.S. tutorial can be found here: https://www.wikihow.com/Convert-a-Computer-ATX-Power-Supply-to-a-Lab-Power-Supply

I like the output jacks you used, though I agree with Sceadwian, banana jacks are a very good idea, so having both types seems like a good bet. Personally, I built a bench power supply just like yours and used banana jacks, the type where the plastic part unscrews so you can wrap a wire around the post and clamp it down, as well as use banana plugs in the top. However, my jacks are mounted right into the metal using insulated washers, so I have to be quite careful about not letting stray strands of the wires touch the case or other posts when used this way. I've always meant to cut out a section of the case, and replace it with a piece of plastic and bolt the banana jacks through that instead. Those speaker wire terminals you used seem like a great solution for connecting stripped wire ends to the power supply without any hassle. When I get some spare time and find myself in a radio shack again, I think I'll pick up one of those terminal blocks and add it to mine!

evandude said:
... the type where the plastic part unscrews so you can wrap a wire around the post and clamp it down, as well as use banana plugs in the top.
Also known as a "binding post" ...
JB

The quick connect/disconnect the speaker style plugs adds is nice for drop in and drop out asignments. Not sure if that's a good idea for a 200 watt capable power supply though I definitly prefer banana jacks with binding post bases.

Hey Carnivore, at least you succeeded on your own merits which is alot more than I can say for some of the twinkies that enter these forums. You saw a need and purpose in something for your hobby, followed the directions, and ended up with a usable workshop tool. Good for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…