Fix 5V from an unstable 6v to 32v maximum DC input.

Status
Not open for further replies.

qq8807

Good day!!

I am designing a charger circuit, in which the raw input is varying from 6V to 32VDC.

For the charger circuit to work, there is no problem since I have a DC-DC converter at the front end to ensure that the charger circuit is receiving a constant DC volt of 20V. I have tested both the DC-DC Converter & the charger circuits.

There are few requirements that need me to put few comparator circuits in my design. However, I doubt that those comparator circuits could work properly as the DC input is unstable. I need to have 5V DC for all the comparator circuits (& 2.5V reference V).

Is it CORRECT if I put the LM431 to generate the 5VDC from unstable input that varies from 6V to 32V ? or LM317 ??

Please, I need the ideas.......

Depends on how much current you need to draw from the reference, and how much power you are willing to waste in the regulator/series resistor. 6Vin to 5Vout is below the dropout voltage for a LM317.

You may get by only providing a fixed reference voltage of 2.495V (the natural LM431 output) to the input of your comparitor. There is no need to regulate the V+ for the regulator. Look up the Power Supply Rejection Ratio (PSRR) on the data sheet for the comparator you plan to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…