Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Flexible PCB

Status
Not open for further replies.

marvelous

Hello there,

Is there any flexible PCB that i can mount (solder) a PIC16f84 or any other microcontroller and circuit components?

What is the material of that flexible PCB and how flexible is it?

Thanks a lot.

Marv.

There's a comapny called minco that makes flexible PCB that you can solder components to. Its quite flexible- like a thick plastic bag.

Brent

bmcculla said:
There's a comapny called minco that makes flexible PCB that you can solder components to. Its quite flexible- like a thick plastic bag.

Brent

Thanks for the reply my friend,

You say it is as much flexible as a thick plastic bag. Then, it is not broken or damaged by wrapping or playing?

By the way, what is the difference between multilayered or single layered PCBs indeed?

Thanks again,
Marv.

The flexible circuit shouldn't be damaged by bending unless the bends are very sharp. Its a little stiffer than a plastic bag.

Single layer PCBs have only a single layer of copper traces. Multi layer PCBs have several copper layers stacked up and can be connected with vias between the layers. The more layers on a PCB the more complicated the circuit can be. 2 or 4 layers is fairly standard.

bmcculla said:
The flexible circuit shouldn't be damaged by bending unless the bends are very sharp. Its a little stiffer than a plastic bag.

Single layer PCBs have only a single layer of copper traces. Multi layer PCBs have several copper layers stacked up and can be connected with vias between the layers. The more layers on a PCB the more complicated the circuit can be. 2 or 4 layers is fairly standard.

Thanks a lot for the help..you are such a philantrophic person.

I think i will contact the PCB company to buy some f-PCB.

Take care,
Marv.

layers

A question:

I have a very small (narrow) place to mount my PCB and that's why i want it to be a flexible PCB so that i can bend it somehow to make it fit that place.

Now....if i increase the number of layers of the FPCB, can i make my circuit smaller and smaller?

Thanks again for the help,
Marv.

Re: layers

marvelous said:
Now....if i increase the number of layers of the FPCB, can i make my circuit smaller and smaller?

Probably, obviously the limit is the size of the components, I don't know if you can get flexible PCB's as multi-layer?. But all multi-layer does is glue thin PCB's together - so a four layer board is simply two double layer boards glued together (with some kind of insulation in between) and through hole plating joining the layers.

The first Pace Digital satellite receivers (for Australia or South Africa, as I recall) had massive early failures - all at roughly the same time. The four layer boards hadn't been cleaned properly during manufacture, and traces of etchant were left between the two boards. This resulted in tracks been etched away during use, and they all failed within a few weeks of each other :lol:

Re: layers

Hi again,

Well yes. The company says they also have multilayered flexible PCBs (even up to 16 layers..gosh! :D)

...i am sorry to hear about the satellite disaster..i will wash clean mine before use :)

Take care and i will keep in touch with you if you don't mind.

Thanks again,
Marv.

It might sound pretty cool for small electronics, but for something with bulky capacitors and/or heatsinks your better off sticking with your normal PCB.

can't you laminate a piece of copper foil to a transparency (with heat) and then etch your own board yourself???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back