Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Floating Point math.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voltboy

Hello guys.
I was reading about floating point math, but I actually didn't understood.
Could anyone please explain me what its all about and what is the difference with integer math?
And please explain as if talking with an ignorant person..:(

PS: Please don't link me to Wikipedia's page about this, I didn't understood from Wiki.

Thanks in advance.

Do you still have the box that your computer came in?:D

Seriously, there has been so much written on the web that you should be able to find something that you do understand. Keep looking and when you have a specific question, post it here.

Mike.

Voltboy said:
Hello guys.
I was reading about floating point math, but I actually didn't understood.
Could anyone please explain me what its all about and what is the difference with integer math?
And please explain as if talking with an ignorant person..:(

PS: Please don't link me to Wikipedia's page about this, I didn't understood from Wiki.

Thanks in advance.

To simplify, if the numbers being calculated contains fractions then floating point math is preferred. If no fractions are involved then integer math is simpler, faster and requires less memory. There are methods to utilize fractions with integer math, but they are somewhat awkward.

Floating point representation and algorithms can be somewhat complex for newcomers to understand at the bit level (precision, mantissa & exponent) so maybe that's really your question :confused:

Lefty

I think what Mike is trying to suggest, is that you ask a question or state a problem, rather than for info that's already out there.
Quick overview of what you need to know:
- Integers are whole numbers.
- Floating point is like a mobile decimal point. It's akin to what your calc display uses (only in binary). So you see numbers like 0.001 or 1.23 E 26 - ie the decimal point can move around. Except it's a binary point.
- If this still doesn't make sense, look up: binary, integer, rational, real numbers, fixed-point arithmetic, floating-point arithmetic (in about that order).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back