Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Florescent bulb lights up on D batteries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

gary350

When I was in college we use to light up florescent bulbs with 6 or 8 D flash light batteries. I remember this worked good in summer in warm weather but not in winter if bulb was too cold. Also remove a hot bulb from a light fixture it was easy to light up with a few D batteries. Push and hold the switch down about 2 seconds then click switch on/off a few times fast bulb would light up. This was 50 years ago I must have forgotten something I can't make it work. I seem to recall filaments were about .4 amps each but don't remember filament voltage? 2 ft long florescent bulbs light up easier than 4 ft bulbs and 8 ft was harder.

Doubtful. According to this reference, it takes at least 30 volts to maintain the light, and a hundred volts or more to start the tube.

I think your drawing has the switch in the wrong wire - it should be in the link between the filaments.

That should at least produce a momentary flicker, though it would need quite a bit of voltage to be able to sustain light!

It is using the back EMF from the inductor to create a high voltage spike and "strike" the tube when the current path through filaments is broken.

I've never tried that - though I did run them off conventional xenon strobe tube circuits, using a wrap of wire near one end as the trigger terminal.
It's quite effective when the tube is cold, but at anything other than a very low flash rate they start to conduct continuously after a few seconds as they warm up.

I think your drawing has the switch in the wrong wire - it should be in the link between the filaments.

That should at least produce a momentary flicker, though it would need quite a bit of voltage to be able to sustain light!

It is using the back EMF from the inductor to create a high voltage spike and "strike" the tube when the current path through filaments is broken.

I've never tried that - though I did run them off conventional xenon strobe tube circuits, using a wrap of wire near one end as the trigger terminal.
It's quite effective when the tube is cold, but at anything other than a very low flash rate they start to conduct continuously after a few seconds as they warm up.

I think your right switch was in wrong place. 3 of us in high school electronic class experimented with this every day for a week or 2. We must have used more D batteries than I remember. I remember connecting batteries in parallel with each filament just to see what voltage was needed to make it glow orange color but I don't remember the filament voltage. Online circuit shows 230v on both filaments in series that would = 115vac on each filament, we never had that many D batteries. I wonder if a joule thief circuit will make this work.

Getting old is hard to handle
I'm battling with it Sometimes I think I was Superman. Nope. I've forgotten probably most of what I was taught

So, I mostly don't post. I mean Off Topic is a safer place for me.

There I just wobble along and moan and groan and comment about the current situation here in South Africa.

I remember connecting batteries in parallel with each filament just to see what voltage was needed to make it glow orange color but I don't remember the filament voltage. Online circuit shows 230v on both filaments in series that would = 115vac on each filament

Remember that in a basic fluorescent fitting there is a choke which acts as a current limit - the filaments are effectively on a constant current supply, not 240V!

I'm not certain but I think they are nominally 6V each, or something like that; not very high.

If filaments are 6v each that means it needs 8 D batteries. I took one of those metal tube shape starters apart once it contained a capacitor and a automatic switch. I don't remember if it was wires series or parallel and don't remember what made the auto switch work. If I have a starter I can't find it. I might find one at hardware store tomorrow. I use to have a 50 year old single light fixture I can not find it. I found this drawing online.

I hereby award gary350 20 Cool Points for recycling his original pencil and paper drawing by using an actual eraser. I would have grabbed a new piece of paper, scratched out another drawing. I wouldn't know where to find an eraser in my house.

Edit: there is an eraser by my box of old components - I use it to polish up the tarnished leads so they solder better (without flux).

But, who (yes, who) would happen to have a case of old-school 2n3055 transistors sitting around his shop to make such a circuit?

But with this bulb he could use 2 2n2222
Thats what was in the light almost the same sch just 2 2n2222 for the 2n3055
2n3055Bulb.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back