Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

flux core welder project

Status
Not open for further replies.

moody07747

I have a homemade stick welder and I want to build it into a flux core welder by adding a spool gun to it.

these spool guns normally run on a constant voltage, (CV) in mig welders but my stick welder is a CC or constant current.

I decided to run the spool gun, (wire feed only) on an external power supply then use the output of the stick welder for the main welding power.

here is the spool gun I got

**broken link removed**

now what I need to now is what power does the motor in this need to run and can I run it on AC?

Hi Moody,
From my past knowledge and experience don't bother trying to make your own mig wire feeder. You are better off adding some high current diodes and making a Tig welder instead. I found an array of 4, 360 amp diodes on a big heatsink in which I put on my old arc welder. I konw it's crude but I've got a decent tig welder from a defunct arc welder.

Cheers Bryan :D

yea ive heard of this many times at hobartwelders.com

just get a AD/DC welder and put a tig torch on it

for non scratch start, add a high frequency unit

the HF units are really expensive to buy and hard to find

the ones on ebay usually sell at about $300 or more

ive also been looking for some big diodes to make the welder i have a DC machine

On the print for the spool gun you bought or if you give me the model name and serial number I can tell you what voltage you need. As for the diodes you need what amp output were you looking for and what kind of cc welder do you have model name and mfg name?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back