Flyback Regulator Transformers

Status
Not open for further replies.

StudentSA

I have always tried to keep away from components such as inductors and transformers... the whole aspect of make it yourself puts me off.

Anyhow, I am building a Flyback Regulator to power some simple electronics in my car. Input voltages (9-16) Output should be fixed to 12V.

I want to use the LM2587-12T Flyback Regulator (Figure 9 in the datasheet)... This however requires an external transformer with a 1:1 turns ratio and 22uH inductance.

How do I make this? or please tell me it can be bought.

Thanks
StudentSA

I guess it would work fine if the inductance is not exactly 22µH. Does datasheet say anything about that?

OK… how much power do you need? BTW- in a flyback the “transformer” is not a transformer, it’s a coupled inductor. If you are building fig 4 or fig 9 from the datasheet, on page 16 it lists part numbers. If you want to wind it yourself, you will need a gapped core. The output power will determine how big of a core you will need.

I guess it would work fine if the inductance is not exactly 22µH. Does datasheet say anything about that?

in general the number should be considered a minimum, within reason. increasing to much will limit power and decreasing to much will increase ripple and potentially saturate the inductor.

sorry i goofed. those are actually not enough unless you are running continuous instead of discontinuous. you need to be able to support the peak current with out saturating. other than than that you just parallel the windings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…