Flyback transformer- is the output rectified?

Status
Not open for further replies.

arnab321

my flyback transformer (a china made one which i had bought) has a modern design, n a hypothesis goes that all modern FBTs are rectified??
**broken link removed**
(this isnt my FBT. i just picked it from google, but mine looks exactly like this)

well, when i connect the primary coil pins to a 9V battery(i keep connecting n disconnecting) with multimeter connected to secondary coil output, in DC mode i get about 500V max. but even if i reverse the polarity of my multimeter, i still get a positive voltage. and when in AC mode, it detects a max voltage of about 1200 (or maybe more).

does these mean that the output is not rectified?

If it is that style of flyback, then yes, the output is rectified. I don't know how you are measuring the output with a multimeter--those generally don't measure more than 1500V, and flybacks usually produce >10Kv. But yes, the output is DC.
Der Strom

Yes, anything with a CRT anode cap must be providing DC - the rectifier is simply built-in the transformer.

Some of the older style flybacks were not rectified, but were fed into a voltage tripler, which rectified it as well. In yours, it is all built together, so it takes up less space.

FBT secondaries have a very low current output. The meter is probably loading it down impacting the output voltage.

FBT secondaries have a very low current output. The meter is probably loading it down impacting the output voltage.
The op is only applying 9V to the primary, that's the main reason for the relatively low output voltage. Typically the primary voltage is much higher than that.

nvr mind, i was actually using a 9V 500mA adapter which has overload protection, so it was getting into my way. i dunno how i got +ve volt even on reversing multimeter polarity, but i know i got.

now i used an old style 9V 850mA adapter with no overload protection, and got -ve voltage on reversing the polarity. so the output is DC

9 volts won't do it alright.

Brings back memories of the "DO NOT MEASURE" warning for 6BQ6 plate caps on TV schematics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…