FM turner and microcontroller

Status
Not open for further replies.

HTAluvBeBeo

Could anyone help me how to create a digital FM turner.
I want to use with PIC microcontroller, buttons to select the frequency and 7seg leds to display the frequency.
I can work with PIc and 7seg leds, buttons, etc
But about the FM recieve module is qute hard for me
Is there any all in one chip can help me from maxim-ic :-?
Or an easy way to make one digital fm turner.
Note that I am very noob with highfrequency, just know to assemble parts
PS: actually, I am making a multi functional clock with ds1307, ds18s20. And now, I want to add radio funcion for my device.
Sorry for my bad English

Last edited:
perhaps you need a Synthesized VFO in the range of FM band.this synthesizer like MC14515x can be controlled by PIC. and its output frequency may have to be read by the same PIC and displayed by you

Last edited:
Some hints for building a tuner

Hello,
I don't know, wether my reply will be a help for you. I built a software controlled tuner as a demo project in the past. I used a very small Telefunken tuner modul, but it's not more deliverable. So known sources are ebay, Pollin-electronics in Germany and Hendrik Barend in the Netherlands. Google with this names. In ebay there were some nice auctions in the past, so a High-End Larsholt tuner. I don't know, where you are living, perhaps you have a distributor also in your country.

For a synthesizer I prefer the SAA1057. It's an older IC but no more in the catalogues, but there a a lot of supplier in the internet, who offer thousends yet for a suitable price. This IC ist simple and reliable to handle. It's only a little lazy to oscillate with a crystal, so it's recommended to use an TTL-Oscillator. You will find applications in the net. Also, if interested use the datasheet. The frequency control is done with 3 wires, no standard, but you can find solutions also in the net, though I can provide a routine for PIC Processors and also in VB to control the SAA1057 with the PC directly.

I hope nevertheless this will be a little help for you ??

As suggested, your best option is to use a ready made tuner head, there have been various ones available in the past, and you just need to write the software to control it, plus of course build an IF etc.

Another proposal

Hi, me again,
here I'll present another proposal: Take the tuner from a FM/TV PC-Card. There are some offered with the Philips FM1216ME/I Tuner on board. They are very inexpensive, because you don't get the right drivers for them.
So you can crack the tuner from the card and you will have a nice FM/TV Multimode tuner. Delivering the AF (FM/MPX) signal and the CVBS TV signal. You will have nothing to do with synthesizer and IF -amplification/demodulation.
Controlled is this tuner with I2C interface. So your processor has to send the appropriate commands for tuning and mode setting. There is a datasheet available, look here:

dl.ivtvdriver.org/datasheets/tuners/FM1216ME_MK3.pdf

Thank you all so much for the replies
ESchemainda: Thank you so so much for your help. It must be very helpful

Unfortunately, I am now a student, and in my country it is quite difficult for me to order parts online. I have a friend in Singapore and he is eager to help me sample one or two IC from Maxim, that's all.
So I will go around the market to find some parts you all suggested
I've heared ablout CXA1691, could it be easy to interface with PIC
anyway, something like FM1216ME/I as ESchemainda is the best, all in one, i2c.
but any suggestion about using an ic from maxim is also ok
sorry for my bad englsih

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…