Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Footprint creativity/IC-change

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pax Writer

Hi Guys

I just submitted a request for a pin-compatible replacement for the 74HC7541 over in the datasheet-forum, but now it occurs to me that really I need a creative piece of advice.
The thing is, that I have eight analogue signals which are supposed to trigger an interrupt on my AVR-processor. They are, however, a bit weak, so on my prototype PCB, I buffered each of them with a 74HC7541 gate.
I think it would be better to use an opamp configured as a comparator, but I have already the 2x10 pin DIP footprint from the '7541. Any good (creative) ideas how to replace that IC with op-amps for the eight signals?
Need info? Ask away and I'll answer.

Analogue in:
Low signal = 0.2V
High signal = (to be) ~1V

Digital(ish) out:
Low signal = 0-0.1V
High signal = 3-5V

Thanks in advance.
/Pax

Last edited:
Hi kchriste

Thanks for your reply. Well, the reason I prefer not to use it is, that my local component-pushers don't carry it, which I was incautious enough not to check before designing the board.
I'll take a look at the 74HC7245, but judging from its name, it'll be a longshot.
As for the redesign, there's no doubt that it will have to be redesigned anyway, but for the first couple of protos, I'll make do with this.
Note: I actually found two 74HC7541s in the back of my component-closet, and they work better than I thought. Too bad they are so hard to come by in Denmark. Maybe I'll just have to accept the shipping costs from digikey...

Thanks again for your detailed and thought-through answer.

Digikey can be a bit steep on shipping for non-US customers...in fact, its because of that I have never ordered from them, just get a few friends in the US to tag on my stuff to their order then ship me the components via airmail.

You have some other options though for copmonents:

Farnell (farnell.com). - minimum order (20UKP), but they have almost everything.

RS (rswww.com) - slightly more expensive, but worth it. Pro's.

Ebay. - the 'ol favourite. You can get loads of components from all over the world...and for IC's shipping is genenrally dirt-cheap. Plenty of 'ebay shops' that stock thousands of IC's. - not reliable though if you need a specific part.

The above three are my main distributors, apart from a couple who only deal within the UK. I'm sure farnell will stock it though.

Blueteeth

@Blueteeth: Thanks for the tip. Maybe I'll have a look at Ebay. RS and Farnell I know, and I generally think they're good suppliers.

@BeeBop: I have a feeling this will be a semi-stupid question, but what is a sub-cct?

Pax Writer said:
@BeeBop: I have a feeling this will be a semi-stupid question, but what is a sub-cct?

'cct' is shorthand for 'circuit', so 'sub-circuit'. What he means is that you don't need a component of the same size/shape as the original; if you needed to, you could build a circuit on another piece of board, give it the same inputs and outputs as the original IC, and plug the new sub-circuit into the socket or holes intended for the original part.

I've seen people do this for various reasons: to replace an op-amp with a different one with a different pinout; to do something like what you're trying to do, etc.

Torben

Torben said:
'cct' is shorthand for 'circuit', so 'sub-circuit'. What he means is that you don't need a component of the same size/shape as the original; if you needed to, you could build a circuit on another piece of board, give it the same inputs and outputs as the original IC, and plug the new sub-circuit into the socket or holes intended for the original part.
Torben

When I worked in San Jose, we called those "daughter board"s. Those would attach to a (example) servo board, and the servo would plug into the "backplane". Odd that nothing was called the motherboard! The backplane was mounted in a Unibody, and the Unibody was mounted in the final product, a huge 10' X10' X 5' wafer inspection machine.

Bob

Last edited:
Bob Scott said:
When I worked in San Jose, we called those "daughter board"s. Those would attach to a (example) servo board, and the servo would plug into the "backplane". Odd that nothing was called the motherboard! The backplane was mounted in a Unibody, and the Unibody was mounted in the final product, a huge 10' X10' X 5' wafer inspection machine.

Bob

Cool. If I'd known when entering university the difference between "computer science" and "computer engineering", I would have gone into the CE line of study instead. :)

Pax, just to clarify: I didn't mean that "sub-circuit" always means what BeeBop and I said before, just that it's a term that you could use to mean that. It can also mean any smaller portion of a larger circuit. I think you know that but I just wanted to clear it up in case.

Cheers,

Torben

Hey all of you :)

Thank you for the input. Incredibly, I didn't consider making a sub-cct (new word in my vocabulary, yay!), but that's an excellent idea for my prototypes.
Have a nice one!
*off to solder*

Best regards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back