Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Found out something very Significant about Vista!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Space Varmint

After you read this, check this link: **broken link removed**

After I read the link I did a search for "Regedit.exe" and guess what? It's not there. That would explain some of the ghostly errors that occur with Vista. Probably some of the features of "Explorer" probably still have routines that attempt to access the registry.

I have written a few device drivers and noticed when I attempted to use the "Service Control Manager" in Vista, I got stopped. I thought they had added extra security but now realize I was trying to access a feature that no longer exists.

Last edited:
Getting rid of the registry is not that bad at all.
The registry has been the cause of numerous headaches for many people.
Only thing is, you had access to it, you could still try and salvage your OS through it. It's almost a daily tool when tracing troubles.
It was also a constant source for optimisation.

Now, your hands are chopped of, next, MS will tell you how to lead your life.:D

After you read this, check this link: **broken link removed**

After I read the link I did a search for "Regedit.exe" and guess what? It's not there. That would explain some of the ghostly errors that occur with Vista. Probably some of the features of "Explorer" probably still have routines that attempt to access the registry.

I have written a few device drivers and noticed when I attempted to use the "Service Control Manager" in Vista, I got stopped. I thought they had added extra security but now realize I was trying to access a feature that no longer exists.

That link doesn't say the registry is gone in Vista; it says that UltraVNC no longer uses the registry in Vista. Vista does still have the registry and regedit should still exist as c:\Windows\regedit.exe.

If yours is missing I would suggest checking carefully for a trojan or other malware--or don't let your kid brother play with the admin password. ;)

Torben

I found out something very significant about Vista ... it sux!

I found out something very significant about Vista ... it sux!

I totally agree.

I've given up trying to search for files under Vista - it just doesn't happen.

Even if its in an indexed area its still easier to do a c:\dir filename.ext /s/p and usually much quicker as well.

I hate Vi$ta with every bone in my body and if I had the money I'd upgrade this crappy laptop with XP and bin the Vi$ta it came with. I've tried using Ubuntu but there are still a fair few unsupported devices on it.

I hate Vi$ta with every bone in my body and if I had the money I'd upgrade this crappy laptop with XP and bin the Vi$ta it came with. I've tried using Ubuntu but there are still a fair few unsupported devices on it.

Not that I'm disputing this, but what devices are you wanting support for? Perhaps I can help you find what you need.

Torben

I'm an active member of the Linux forums - I use Ubuntu on both my servers.

The laptop is only really used for MPlab and bumming around when I can't be bothered to go into the workshop and use my trusty Win2K steed.

I can't get it to use the native resolution on the screen drivers (even with hacks). I'm close but its still not quite there and the network drivers work (with hacks) but aren't as efficient as they should be.

Its 90% there and useable but not as reliable (!!!) as running it with Vista. I used XP on it just to try it and it flew, worked perfectly and gave it a new lease of life (its a fairly new laptop) but I object to paying for another OS when I had to pay for the Vi$ta on it in the first place.

Might retire it to use by the missus and get myself an EEE .........

Not that I'm disputing this, but what devices are you wanting support for? Perhaps I can help you find what you need.

How about support for wireless networking cards? - I chucked Ubantu on a machine I built up at work, and I found no simple way to get any of the wireless cards I have working (so didn't bother).

How about support for wireless networking cards? - I chucked Ubantu on a machine I built up at work, and I found no simple way to get any of the wireless cards I have working (so didn't bother).

Note that I didn't say that some devices aren't supported. ;)

For wireless cards, most of the ones for which there is no native support can use ndiswrapper and the Windows 2000/XP driver just fine. That's a bit more of a pain to set up than just using a native driver but it does work.

The Seattle Robotics club has some excellent information on Linux wireless if I recall correctly.

Torben

I'm an active member of the Linux forums - I use Ubuntu on both my servers.

Hey, I wasn't calling you a newb. :) Just saying that different folks may have different information at hand.

I can't get it to use the native resolution on the screen drivers (even with hacks). I'm close but its still not quite there and the network drivers work (with hacks) but aren't as efficient as they should be.

Really? I'm familiar with the wireless side of it but the screen issue is one I haven't encountered yet. What is the laptop model and what is the video chipset?

Its 90% there and useable but not as reliable (!!!) as running it with Vista. I used XP on it just to try it and it flew, worked perfectly and gave it a new lease of life (its a fairly new laptop) but I object to paying for another OS when I had to pay for the Vi$ta on it in the first place.

Weird. Vista on this laptop (Asus G1S) is a total pig and falls over if you look at it sideways (or heaven forbid, if you try to copy something over the network). Gutsy didn't like the wireless card but Hardy worked out of the box.

Might retire it to use by the missus and get myself an EEE .........

Mmmm. I met a fellow at a ball game a while back who had an EEE. Might have to get one of those myself before long. This laptop is nice as a main machine but it's kind of big to just stick in a backpack.

Torben

Laptop is a Fujitsu Siemens Esprimo Mobile V5535 with an Atheros AR5007EG wireless adapter and a SIS Mirage 3 graphics card. I've a feeling it the SIS 661/671 chipset.

Eric - the laptop came with Vista and works fine with it. The problems are actually Vista itself. Its the biggest pile of poo operating system I've ever used.

Linux would be nice but it won't run properly on this machine - just spent another hour trying to get it going but looks like I'll scrap the Linux idea for this machine and reclaim my disk space.

Actually I still use Windows 2000 on my main work computer.

I use Debian on my older server, Ubuntu 8.04 on my new server (with MythTV), Windows 2000 on 4 machines, Windows XP on an older laptop and our family (aka kids) machine and Vista on my laptop.

Unfortunately Win2K is not supported by a lot of newer stuff (devices) so I have the XP machine handy for the bits of kit I need to test out.

All machines have appropriate valid licences as well.

Speeking of xp

So picbits, through this all, what you are actually saying is that XP is still king?

arrie,what ever happened to the xp machine you were working on ?

kv

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back