Found out something very Significant about Vista!

Status
Not open for further replies.
KV, that's a funny one.
I could not get it going, so I begged the ISP to come, that was on a Friday, about a week after the owner called them out.
So Saturday the owner of the ISP pitches up, he phones me, and kak'd me out because I told his client something on his network is wrong.
The guy took the PC to his offices, plugged it in, and it worked, hahahahaha.
He returned the PC, and it still would not work.
Another company close to the owner came out, could also not find anything wrong with the PC, so they took the PC to their offices. Plugged it in, and guess what, it worked.
The owner since changed to another ISP.
And I spent around eight hours to find a very absent fault.
The mystery of the unexplained.

More tin and aluminum foil.

Aluminum fixes everything. We just need better shielding there.

Works for me I just put all my extra aluminum foil on my roof.

My Network runs just fine.

kv

You know KV, I never thought of some alu shielding on the roof around the antenna area.
Damn, that might have just sorted things out.
Next time.

Laptop is a Fujitsu Siemens Esprimo Mobile V5535 with an Atheros AR5007EG wireless adapter and a SIS Mirage 3 graphics card. I've a feeling it the SIS 661/671 chipset.

Nope, don't think I know anything about those guys that you're not already likely to have tried. SiS just doesn't seem interested in the problem. The 2D driver is easy to find but the 3D doesn't seem to be up to much.

The wireless card seems like it should work though. Ah well. From your later posts it sounds like you've thrown in the towel on getting Linux running on this machine so I will too. :/

Torben

Bubble shielding.

Well sure...what do you think my hat's made out of? At least that's what they tell me.

With the increase of RF we will all have to live in a bubble including mother nature.

You have herd about the wifi on steroids. Soon as they get that going it may challenge cell phone users.

kv

How about support for wireless networking cards? - I chucked Ubuntu on a machine I built up at work, and I found no simple way to get any of the wireless cards I have working (so didn't bother).
What wireless cards? What chipset? I have wireless on a bunch of Ubuntu (and other distros) boxes and I've never had any problems at all. They just work. It's all automagic.

These Atheros chipset cards are good:

D-Link DWL-G520
Belkin F5D7000

I see D-Link has changed their wireless line and no longer sells the DWL-G520. What the new equivalent is, I don't know. Probably the WDA-1320?

Don't expect USB wireless adapters to work. They'll be trouble for sure.

Hey! That's a good one...automagic! I like that one. I'm not sure what I got in this Acer laptop.

All my wireless stuff is ZyXel, I'm reasonably happy, have seen some of the other wireless stuff, headaches more than anything.
And those usb wifi dongles, rubbish, utter rubbish.

Rather then get a proper wifi NIC.

But then again, I use Win XP only.

And those usb wifi dongles, rubbish, utter rubbish.
Even in Windoze they're crap. A guy gave me one, brand new, for setting up his network. I think it was a D-Link WUA-1340. Took it home and installed on my programming box, which is wireless. I usually swear by D-Link stuff. It's always been good for me, but this thing! Oh my god! Took me a day and a half before I unplugged that piece of crap and threw it in a box. What a piece of junk!

Maybe by now they've put out a firmware update and made it useable, but there was none then. I looked.

Went back to the PCI card wireless. Ahhhhh.... Trouble free.

So you think the PCMCIA cards work better? Dern it! Mine got stolen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…