Free BASIC compilers Visual BASIC Express vs JustBASIC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
VB is definitely worth learning, and its not hard at all, esp. if you have almost any type of programming experience imho

Try this file, i put it together a while ago, demon straights how to interface with a pic via the com port (in this case COM1)

http://users.tpg.com.au/gramo/PICBASIC/9600 baud.zip

its written in Proton+, but will compile with the Lite version of P+

For wiring, I used the DS275 as its a single component interface for RS232,

**broken link removed**

Last edited:
for what it's worth, I would definitely go with VB because you're working with something that's very popular and well supported - much bigger user base, documentation, abilities, etc... I make it a general rule to try to avoid less-common, proprietary compilers or development environments for this reason; you never want to hit a wall where there's something you just can't do with it, and have to wait around for developers to add new features that may never come. You seem to like BASIC, but if you ever decided to use a C-based language down the road, C# is very similar in functionality to VB, practically the same except it uses C-based syntax instead of BASIC, so it would be a pretty easy migration.

And I can say from personal experience that serial port interfacing is really easy with .NET 2.0 - little more than drag and drop, tweaking a few parameters, and writing a small handful of code. It's far easier than the older methods using MSCOMM or proprietary, third-party DLL's or anything like that. The Express edition you linked has all that stuff built right in, and I'd say it's a good choice. I made a little two-way serial terminal application a year or so ago (in C#, but again, practically the same thing) in just an hour or so, on my first try.

Last edited:
I didnt realise that when I converted my old VB6 (VB6 is older than VB5 EE) program, it didnt convert over the MSCOMM1 controls properly - i've done a quick fix to display how to open a port, define its settings and interface with a pic, the pic basic file can be compiled with Proton+ Lite, so you can edit/produce the .hex files to burn to your pic.

See the following links for the files/examples on how to connect a pic micro to a pc!

Download The VB Files & Proton File Here

**broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…