Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Free electricity?? hoax or real

Status
Not open for further replies.

skmdmasud

i found the following video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0fwjY6_-1M

they show you can light a led with a very strong magnet wired up with a coil and few things which runs forever. sounds mysterious but something like this can be possible. When i make a coil around my cell phone antenna i can detect good amount of Volts. Can we harvest the same electromagnetic waves that are been produced by cell phone towers and use it in our home. It will be sort of free from user point of view :) .

Stealing power from the cell towers is probably not legal. Besides the amount of power that you could harvest would not be very much. I would be surprised if you could get 1 watt in their parking lot.

Stealing power from the cell towers is probably not legal. Besides the amount of power that you could harvest would not be very much. I would be surprised if you could get 1 watt in their parking lot.

I dont think this will be stealing. They are sending the EMI blindly in all directions.

If you put a tuned circuit in proximity of their station, it would absorb both incoming and outgoing signal.
The courts might consider this stealing. As for the youtube, It's a hoax. The motor on the magnet side is being driven by a battery.

Video is hoax. Or else i would be the first person to mass produce it.:p

Can we make somthing like a night lamp which you place in the room and starts to glow using cell phone, wifi etc waves. I would like make one:)..

Wi-Fi is much too weak. You would need to live by a high power radio station. Maybe within a mile of a 1000 watt.
2 miles of 4000 watt
3 miles of 8000 watt and so on
And this would probably only light an LED

This one looks more likely **broken link removed**

Hi,

Stealing? This is up for debate i think because if the waves go out in all directions then they pass through your house and some get absorbed by accident anyway. So you would be using energy that was not going to be used for anything else anyway.
However, if you mount the receiver on an antenna above your house that might be different because then you might be blocking the signal along that line of site path and that might prevent someone somewhere from picking up the signal. A small coil probably would not change much anyway though.

Pure garbage. The amount of power sucked out of the air to drive a motor like the one shown at that RPM with that small coil would kill you before you could switch your soldering iron on.

As for the girl lighting an LED through a Peltier effect device, You can get very bright LEDs running off <1mA. Not exactly ground breaking research although fun for a school science project.

As for the girl lighting an LED through a Peltier effect device, You can get very bright LEDs running off <1mA. Not exactly ground breaking research although fun for a school science project.
She must be in a very cold climate with very hot little hands. I haven't been able to approach this kind of voltage or current with body heat.
Unless someone has had better Peltier wafers.
Maybe .1 volt,.1 ma

Nil, anybody expecting to "harvest" energy from radio fields needs to spend some time studying the "inverse square law".

Hi,

I was assuming this would be a low energy project. LED's these days can be lit with 100ua, 300uw.

Anybody remember how much power it takes to run a crystal set radio?

Anybody remember how much power it takes to run a crystal set radio?

P=E^2/R, 0.5Vrms across a 2KΩ set of headphones would be 125uW of sound power.

My house is 1200 feet from a 1 Kw AM broadcast station, nothing here is lighting up on it's own.

My house is 1200 feet from a 1 Kw AM broadcast station, nothing here is lighting up on it's own.

1KW is pretty puny, and MW is very low frequency.

An often reported occurrence (I've no idea if it's true or not), concerned a VERY high power VHF transmitter in Germany (a long, long time ago), Germany had VHF years before anyone else.

There was a plain off in one direction from the mast, and this was full of commercial green houses - and one enterprising farmer discovered that by building a correct sized 'antenna' in his greehhouses it provided a degree of free heating for his green houses. Needless to say other owners followed suit, with the result that coverage in that direction was severely reduced, and it all came to light when tests were done.

Don't know if it was true or not, but it's a nice story :D

Pure garbage. The amount of power sucked out of the air to drive a motor like the one shown at that RPM with that small coil would kill you before you could switch your soldering iron on.

I agree. The OP's video is complete rubbish. I think I saw someone do it once, then show how they faked it. I'll see if I can find the video.

You need to not be plotting to steal power from the telco. How about a nice solar panel instead?

I suggest this sort of activity be frowned upon. Close thread.

I'm with you, Bill. Honestly, I'm surprised this thread has lasted this long.

She must be in a very cold climate with very hot little hands. I haven't been able to approach this kind of voltage or current with body heat. Unless someone has had better Peltier wafers.
Maybe .1 volt,.1 ma

Actually there are power IC's made specifically now that can take a input voltage between .2 volt s and a few Ma power sources and step them up to supply low voltage power to small loads.

I cant find the specs sheet for the very low voltage IC but here is one that starts at .8 volts and goes down below .3 volts input while putting out up to 5 VDC.
View attachment NCP1402-D.PDF

Here is a radio signal based power source lighting a LED you could hook it up to as well!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcui0K7JZXA

So yes You can harvest small amounts of electrical power from local radio signals and power small electronics devices from it as well with off the shelf materials and parts! :p

Last edited:
It's little to do with voltage or current, but power which is the combination of both. You maybe able to get 0.2V from an inductive loop near to a transmitter, but the current available will be very low. The Thevenin equivalent resistance will normally be too high to make use of the the current available. Likewise a high current induced will have very little usable EMF. Adding a convertor as shown above just moves the problem from high voltage low current or low current high voltage. It doesn't help either way. This is not even taking into account the conversion factor.

You cannot get something for nothing. One of the laws of thermodynamics and I cannot remember which one. Energy cannot be created or destroyed.

If you are lucky (or unlucky in my eyes) to live so close to an AM transmitter putting thousands of watts into the ether, then with a farmyard of coils, you maybe able to light a 1mw LED at 1000m. Hardly worth a gong.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back