Free SD memory card sockets

Status
Not open for further replies.

futz

I have a couple tiny (32MB) SD cards that came with digital cameras. They're way too tiny for a camera (they hold 7 pics or something - camera runs a 4GB card) so I'm going to tinker with interfacing with PIC. I was looking online to buy a SD/MMC socket and stumbled on **broken link removed**. Excellent! I probably have at least half a dozen of those old junker cables kickin around here.

Cool, I was thinking of having a tinker with the SD file system and a PIC.

I have seen the "Pukka" SD connectors and I wondered how i could fix these to a breadboard for experimentation.

UTMonkey said:
Cool, I was thinking of having a tinker with the SD file system and a PIC.

I have seen the "Pukka" SD connectors and I wondered how i could fix these to a breadboard for experimentation.
What the hell is Pukka? Are those the surface mount ones everyone sells? You'd have to solder pins onto them to use on a breadboard.

The other way would be to pay $18 + shipping to SparkFun for their breakout board with socket. Nice product, but a bit pricey.

I plugged my SD into that old style floppy connector and it fits PERFECT! Like it was made for it. Just follow that guy's instructions for the guide rails and it'll work fine.

Last edited:
UTMonkey said:
LOL,

**broken link removed**
Oh!!! It's an English (British) thing.

I could probably come up with a few Canadian (Canuck) words that would confuse you... Can't think of any offhand though.

futz said:
Oh!!! It's an English (British) thing.

Actually it's more an Indian Raj word, back from our colonial days, it's not a word you come across in common use, particularly down Chessy!

Nigel,

Are you telling me you never get told to "Pukka up"

Yes, I know wrong spelling.

Mike.

Nigel Goodwin said:
Actually it's more an Indian Raj word, back from our colonial days, it's not a word you come across in common use, particularly down Chessy!
In India, we use the word for perfect eg, the connections are pukka
pukka house-- yes - not a temporary type.

Negative or other usage I didn't come across. May be originated from URDU or so., but generally used colloquially.

mvs sarma said:
In India, we use the word for perfect eg, the connections are pukka
pukka house-- yes - not a temporary type.

Same here, but it's back from the Raj days, and it's not a word I've ever heard used in conversation.

Negative or other usage I didn't come across. May be originated from URDU or so., but generally used colloquially.

I wasn't suggesting it was negative in any way, merely that it's not a word I would ever expect to see from someone in Chessy (Chesterfield).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…