Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Fried PIC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

digital_blue

I just received a PIC16F84 and I've tried many times to program it with my Pickit 2. It keeps displaying "HEX file larger than device". I tried to read it but everything ends up being 0000 as opposed to the usual 3FFF I usually see with blank devices. I tried reading another PIC that I know is fried and it displays the same 0000s. I tried another PIC16f84 and although the "HEX file larger than device" warning still appeared, it actually programmed. I tried reading the device again and it worked perfectly fine.

Any ideas?

The PICkit2 cannot program a 16F84, it can program a 16F84A
**broken link removed**

Your Inchworm can program the 16F84 though.

Last edited:
build a simple JDM programmer

Hi
build a simple JDM type programmer and try with WINPIC
their is a nice erase option called bulk erase it really cool:)
or build Nigel's parallel port base programmer and try with his picprog2

Why would you recommend a JDM when you can't get yours working properly?

thank you for u advice Mr.TiagoSilva
i will keep it mined
your are extremely right about data sheet of PIC
they are more than manuals they are sort of tutorials
by the way is it possible to damage output circuitry of the pic while working internal (because the pic i mention still able to program and erase but nothing send to out put pins)
and i have a crazy thought that is i'm going to connect pin 10 to ground like in LVP programming mode :rolleyes:

once again thanks for your advice

does any one build lothar's ICD2 clone? does it work on MPLAB v7.61?

it's looking cheaper to me

JDM are troublesome, my Inchworm ICD2 design is a modified Stoltz design.

Last edited:
it just a idea

Hi:)
Mr.blueroomelectronics I'm not a expert as you but i think my JMD programmer work fine may be the problem is in my pic. i gave just a idea for a pic. because it is odd to make a new complex programmer for single pic like 16f84. btw I belive your Inchworm is nice programmer. but if their is a malfunction pic program with your Inchworm and if it does not work can any body say that Inchworm is not a good one or bad design. for beginner their will be many problem with regard to this subject(embedded system) some time they may lucky enough to not to fall in trap, some times does not but if fall into such a trap then have chance to learn some thing new isn't it?

Last edited:
with 10 year old pics running 10 year old MPLAB software with 10 year old technology.

People use the 16F84A still, because they cannot afford new PIC's unfortunately. At Michigan Tech. (college I want to go to and that I have the grades for) They use the 18F4620 :D

also, NASA allowed a group of grads from MTU to launch a type of data acquisition device into orbit. Talked to one of them about the solar cells at the YES! expo in detroit. IF you were to go, be sure to bring body armor, 9MM, and mace, because it is detroit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back