Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

From PIC to computer screen. HUH?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

lizard

Please can someone point me in the vague direction of how to display info from a PIC16F96 to a computer screen. Like, where do I start? What type of outut do I use? Do I need any other hardware components to make it work?

Seems like you want to use Serial Communication.

Need a PIC with EUSART and

Also needed is a RS-232 Transceiver. Like the MAX232. You can order samples from **broken link removed**

Tutorial 7

For Parts needed check out:

Last edited:
As a PIC16F96 doesn't seem to exist you're going to have trouble.......

Seriously, by far the easiest way to get data from a PIC to a computer screen is to use the EUSART on the PIC (or bit-bash if there isn't a EUSART available).

That will send characters out in serial form on one of the pins. Then connect that to a PICKIT2. Install the PICKIT2 software on the PC and select the EUSART tool and the characters appear on the screen.

The big advantage of this is that a single character can be sent, or whole streams of characters. If you have an oscilloscope you can see what is being sent. An LED connected to data line will show you if data is being sent, but not what is being sent.

The things you need to get right are:-
Which pin on PIC and PICKIT2
Eusart settings on the PIC
Baud rate
number of bits

You can use a 3/5V to RS232 level converter like a MAX232 and wire up to the serial port on the PC, and use a terminal emulator program. That is instead of the PICKIT2, but then you need to find a PC with a serial port.

Are you looking to display information thought the computer its self or connect a vga screen directly to the microcontroller?

As said above, use the EUSART. Take the TX/RX pins from the PIC out to a device like a MAX232 and then connect the MAX232 to the appropriate pins on a d-sub connector (2,3, & 5 IIRC).

You can then code a Windows program in Visual Basic or other language that accesses the serial port.

The problem here is that " from a PIC16F96 to a computer screen" can mean two things. It could mean from a PIC to a computer with a screen. Or it could mean from a PIC to a computer screen detached without a computer.

Which is it ?

Seriously, by far the easiest way to get data from a PIC to a computer screen is to use the EUSART on the PIC (or bit-bash if there isn't a EUSART available).

That will send characters out in serial form on one of the pins. Then connect that to a PICKIT2. Install the PICKIT2 software on the PC and select the EUSART tool and the characters appear on the screen.

I've been all over my PICkit2, help, readme, etc., and for the life of me can't find the EUSART tool. Could you point me in a better direction?

Edit: correct spelling

Last edited:
PICkit2 software. TOOLS>UART Tool

UART Tool displays the connection diagram.

Not much more to know.

Sorry, but I just don't see it. (See attachment). Being new, I guess I'm just all fouled up.

Attachments

• tool screen.JPG
    tool screen.JPG
    33.2 KB · Views: 182
Hi,
What version of PICkit2 software are you using? Check this v2.52.

Well, thanks, bananasiong. That may explain it. I just bought this outfit in June, but it is version 2.11. I went to the site you mentioned, and opened it, but it failed to download. I'll try again.

Seems they would ship the latest version, doesn't it?

Seems they would ship the latest version, doesn't it?
They ship whatever version was current when that batch of disks was stamped. When they run out they'll order another batch with the newer current version on them. Soon that will be out of date, but the disks won't all be sold yet. :p

Last edited:
They ship whatever version was current when that batch of disks was stamped. When they run out they'll order another batch with the newer current version on them. Soon that will be out of date, but the disks won't all be sold yet. :p

LOL! That coming from the company that uses last-minute updating of the product as a selling point for their MCU's.

Ah, well. I'm still enjoying the learning process, and think very hightly of Microchip"s sample program.

Again thanks for being more help than you realize. Some of us don't run to the forum for help until we really need it, but we can learn just by "lurking".

LOL! That coming from the company that uses last-minute updating of the product as a selling point for their MCU's.
Every company does it. It costs money to get disks made. The more you can get made at once, the less you pay. Anyone who needs the latest version of the program can grab it off the interweb in seconds anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back