Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

full color led display

Status
Not open for further replies.

psergiu

Hello,

I am trying to build a full color led display, but i could really use any help i can get. I mostly want to know the what stands behind this project like what can use to control the leds(ic/pic/fpga) and which would you recommend, once i have built a matrix how can i connect it to the PC and see if it works, .

I was thinking at 8x8 matrices, each pixel being formed of 4 leds (2R1G1R).

Any documentation or links you think may help me please post it.

Thank you!

Full color? Do you mean RGB 2R1G1B? Go with what is simple and cheap. If FPGA is easy for you then go that route, I would not. Forget IC as a means of control, for they are grunts whom may only serve to amplify power.

As for the micro, its your choice. As for the switching topology, use a multiplexing architecture, because controlling 64 individual leds and individual I/O lines is well... you get the picture.

Example 72-led board with native 24x3 multiplexing:
https://www.electro-tech-online.com/threads/project-72-led-sequencer.31038/?highlight=resolve

Thanks, but i what do you suggest i use for this project.

I consider that building the 1st matrix is the hardest part. I have looked over the internet and i still haven't found a way to control the leds. The matrix is composed of 256 leds forming an 8x8 dot matrix, each pixel if formed of 4 leds(2R1G1B). I need to find a way to control it is such a way that after the panel is completed i must be able to play on it movies, pictures, etc.

Any info is useful!!!

I was going to say that, you'd be better off using two green LEDs as the eye is more sensitive to green than any other colour. There again if the eye is most sensitive to green there's no point in having extra green.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back