Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Full Spectrum Illiminator Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheWhiteknight

Hi There,

I'm just seeking some help with an electronics project so any guru's please free to submit your comments or suggestions.

I am trying to build a Full Spectrum Illiminator

here are the specs for the LED's one of each I thought perhaps connecting them in parallel and assigning individual resistors to each LED would be best but just wondered what spec resistor would be best for each LED ? I also would like to ask about the power source as it has to be portable what would be your suggestion ideally it would need to run for 5 - 7 hours continously . Any help or suggestions are gratefully received . This will be mounted along side my Camcorder on a tripod!

1 x 5mm UV LED
Angle: 10Degrees
Max Power Dissipation : 80mw
Max Continuous Forward Current : 30mA
Max Peak Forward Current : 75mA
Reverse Voltage : 5~6V
Forward Voltage (V) : 2.8 ~ 4

1 x 10mm Triple Chip 200mW Infrared IR LED Night Vision
Voltage: 1.5V~1.6V
Current: 140mA, Peak(pulse): 700mA
Power: 200mW

1 x Ultra Bright Red LED 10mm 15000mcd
Intensity (mcd): 11000-15000
Viewing Angle (deg): 20
Forward Voltage (V): 1.9-2.1
Forward Current (mA): 20-30

1 x Ultra Bright Green LED 10mm 20000mcd
Intensity (mcd): 16000-20000
Forward Voltage (V): 3.1-3.3

1 x Ultra Bright Blue LED 10mm 10000mcd
Intensity (mcd): 7000-10000
Forward Voltage (V): 3.0-3.3

Many Thanks

Adjust the currents in the red, green and blue LEDs to produce white. But since you can't see UV nor IR then I don't know what you can use to sense their levels compared to the white that the RGB LEDs produce.

Thank you for your response audioguru ! Do you think it would be best to calculate the resistors needed for each LED individualy if connected in parallel ? Also what about heat from the resistor would it be best to use one with a smaller value . Many thanks

That's not full spectrum, there will be gaps between IR, red, green and blue and UV where there's no light.

What do you need it for?

It's unusual to require a continuous spectrum from near IR to UVA, if you're growing plants you don't need green, just red, blue with a bit of UV is enough.

I understand there maybe gaps in the spectrum as you say!

Well it is not for use with plants I am a member of a paranormal investigation group and I intend did to use it alongside my Sony Hardrive Camcorder mounted on a tripod it is very experimental . So hence the reason it may need to run for a good few hours during the course of an investigation to help with recording any light anormlies . I appreciate any help on this project !

Use a high temperature halogen lamp without a UV filter to give you a full spectrum lamp, more powerful than your wimpy little LEDs.

Yes, a halogen torch (flashlight) bulb can be run from batteries.

You are making video recordings of GHOSTS? Maybe you watch too many cartoons on TV.

LEDs are never connected in parallel except in cheap Chinese flashlights that burn out in a few hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back