Functional inverter schematic

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwame

HI folks
i want to build a reliable inverter for the home.I want some one direct me to a circuit/schematic that is functional or tested.I want output of the inverter to be 220 VAC, (400-1000 WATT) as this the line voltage in Africa.
The circuit should as simple as possible.

Last edited:
Inverters use a Deep-Discharge battery that is expensive and is used in motor-homes. A car battery is completely different (high current for a few seconds) and will be destroyed after a few uses.

A simple circuit has a square-wave output so it cannot power electronic products or motor speed controls that depend on the higher peak voltage of a sine-wave. The simple circuit does not have voltage regulation so its voltage will be too high when the load is light and the battery is freshly charged and the voltage will be too low when the battery voltage is running down and the load current is high.

It is used to power a heater, cooker or hair dryer and incandescent light bulbs. Some people in other countries use it to power small TVs and compact fluorescent light bulbs that work from almost any voltage. They pay a company to pickup a dead battery and deliver a charged battery because they have NO electricity to charge a battery.

A pretty big and expensive 12V battery will power a 1000W inverter for maybe 45 minutes to 1 hour then it must be cooled then re-charged for 6 hours to 8 hours.

Last edited:
Generally it is easier and frequently cheaper to buy than build. That is the general consensus anyway.

Next, while you mention the output voltage (I assume 50 Hz ?) you do not mention the DC voltage you want it to run on?

Also, while numbers like 400 to 1,000 watts sounds nice have you given any thought to the battery that would drive it? For example, off the cuff with a 12 volt supply a 500 watt inverter supplying 400 watts will be drawing in excess of 34 amps before the inefficiencies are figured in. Hope you have a large battery and large cables.

If you do a forum search you will find plenty of threads on the subject. I suggest you start there.

Ron

Is there another thread this came from or has it just been scrubbed to the point where I need to have a high level of ADD to follow it??

I hate these threads that read like they came from the middle of a conversation right from the beginning.

For what its worth you will never build an inverter unit that will do any realistic good for less than you can buy one.

We don't know if inexpensive Chinese inverters and batteries are sold in Africa.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…