Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

fuse blown LED indicator

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbates58

hi all. i am wanting to put a led indicator in a project that im building to tell me when the fuse for the circut is blown. jaycar sell a fuse with the led on the end of it, but im after it been seperate. its going in my car, so the voltage varies from 12v - 14.4v, and the fuse is going to be 10A. so i need it wired so that when the fuse blows (if it does) that an led will light up and indicate that it is blown. i imagine that i would need a resistor somewhere before the led, but i dont know how big, and where it needs to go, and i also dont know how to wire it in.

can anyone help?
cheers

jbates58

1K/1/4W resistor in series with an LED. This is placed between the fuse holder's terminals. LED's positive lead toward the +12V supply end of the fuse. You can also buy 12V LED indicators...basically they already have the resistor inside it.

Ken

This method works only reliably if the load current is higher than the LED forward current.

That circuit (attached) works with any load current.

Boncuk

Attachments

• BLOWN-FUSE.gif
    BLOWN-FUSE.gif
    12.6 KB · Views: 504
If you are concerned about the LED lighting with a small load, then use a high brightness type LED. It would be unusual for a load to not draw a mA or so that will make such an LED readily visible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back