G35LA I208 diode?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lynx

Hi

a G35LA 208I in the RJ11port of a router what can it be? the pad says D1 the component looks like
a diode (as seen in the photo) but i cant find that code, also reads infinite resistance both sides

Why do you think it's faulty? - it's probably an over voltage diode, to clip any incoming high voltage spikes - so shoud read O/C both ways.

you are right... since its parallel with the rj11 pins.

I'm trying to troubleshot syncronization problems with this router everything works perfect i couldnt find any problems with the interface other routers work but this stopped few days ago.

Well it's not going to be that, and it has no effect on the router operation, just a safety device.

Have you tried a different PSU on the router?, as a VERY, VERY common problem is high ESR electrolytics in the PSU causing massive ripple on the supply rails, and also sending enough interference back up the mains lines to drastically reduce ADSL speeds and other services.

I've tried a second psu and still its the same, the ISP says its a cpe problem and i agree with them since other routers work, that's why i'm looking at it.

next thing im about to do is to change capacitors inside the router (the big ones).

do you think its pointless?

next thing im about to do is to change capacitors inside the router (the big ones).

do you think its pointless?
Nope, I had a Belkin G+MIMO router which gradually lost speeds/had to be reset more often over a couple of months, then lost connection altogether.
Inside, one of the electrolytic caps had split, so I replaced them all.
Worked fine after that.

indeed there were 4 faulty capacitors with very low capacitance, the ones
reading normal i didnt changed any.

Still the device can't sync, i guess you will say its an ESR problem and i should change them all?

Since it was taken apart to see what was wrong with it, and I saw that one was split, they all got changed regardless.
Mine worked after that.
What do you have to lose at this point?

Time, oh wait, everyone seems to have lots of that at the moment.

Mike.

That's true (both of your sayings)

i've lost much time trying to desolder small capacitors and unclog the holes
bigger ones have different hole diameter.

and yes because of the situation we are all into... there's some available time to do such repairs

unfortunately seems there are also faulty SMD caps, some appear shorted and read around 170ohm in circuit when i probe them.

unless its normal for in circuit measurment?

unfortunately seems there are also faulty SMD caps, some appear shorted and read around 170ohm in circuit when i probe them.

unless its normal for in circuit measurement?

Quite possible, and in fact VERY likely, that you can't test them in circuit - unless you have a suitable ESR meter, which can test most (but not all) electrolytics in circuit - in my (considerable) experience probably 99+% can be checked in circuit, depending on the exact circuit configuration. I've checked thousands of capacitors in circuit, with great success - and replaced lot's and lot's of them.

Quite possible, and in fact VERY

I can't remove and test every smd...and i dont have a
reliable ESR tester

in the past i was electronics enthusiast doing many projects i could find online, so i did a coupleof ESR meters which proved not that great.

now im using my knowledge when needed to repair stuff, but on this router seems the problem is more than the few faulty capacitors i found.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…