gain of LM3900?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neil Groves

I have just completed the first stage of my project and have a question regarding the LM3900 chip, on the input i have such a small sinewave it is barely visible with the scope, meanwhile i have a thumping great sinewave on the output pin, it's beautiful!!!

So what is the gain of the LM3900? it must be huge?

Neil.

I guess you didn't look at its datasheet. It is a very odd quad amplifier.
Its voltage gain is typically only 2800, minimum of 1200.
Most ordinary opamps have a voltage gain of 200,000 up to millions. They use lots of negative feedback to reduce the gain, reduce the distortion and reduce the output impedance.

Thanks AudioGuru....no i didn't look at the datasheet, simply because that kind of stuff is way beyond my ability to understand and comprehend, i'm not an engineer, just a backstreet kid enjoying building circuits and learning stuff along the way, would you believe my interest in electronics stemmed from looking inside a radio many years ago and wondering what all the pretty coloured bits were for lol

Opamps are a mystery i want to unravel once i get my projects i am currently working on finished, i am keen to get the hang of some of the maths behind negative and positive gain.

Neil.

Neil,
Here are 2 Op Amp amplifier configurations.

If you want to know how the formulae are derived, just let me know & I'll write out the maths for you.

Len

Attachments

• Op Amp Amps.jpg
    191.9 KB · Views: 140
Last edited:
Thanks Len, i can't wait till i get my current projects finished so i can build these 2 circuits for real, stick a waveform in and have a scope around to see whats going on. i may then contact you for the math, so i can get a better understanding of what is going on.

Neil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…