Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

game player advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldfella1962

My teen son wants to make a portable video game player out of one designed just for the TV (indoors). So, how feasable is getting an old game player screen, and displaying the data onto that? Also, are there readily purchased items that can link batteries together to substitute for the DC power supply? Anyway, any advice on how we can build this project together would be greatly appreciated. I have quite a bit of electronics experience (I'm a US Soldier repairing Air Traffic Control Equipment), but not when it comes to designing and building projects.

Hey, I'm a big fan of portabilizing and modifying. I'm currently in the process of making another N64mp.

It is easy to get screens. The best screen to use on most systems is actually a PS1 screen(because they are easy to adapt to most systems), which is usually $10-$15 on eBay. What system does your son want to mod? Most PCs (Portable Crusaders) use either Radio Shack battery packs or Ni-MH(1.2V each). For battery ideas, check **broken link removed**. This is actually a really good project for friends and families to work on together, because if one person has problems, the other can help. I will tell you right now, if he is going to use a Nintendo system(like N64 or GameCube), you will probably need to either use the melted pen technique(search the BenHeck forums), or buy a Nintendo screwdriver(inverted torque wrench from **broken link removed** or eBay).

Here are 2 great sites for portabilizing and modifying almost any system ever made:
**broken link removed**
and
**broken link removed**

Thanks for the help

Thank you for the advice! My son is very excited that his idea is valid. We're getting started tomorrow. :)

it's a Nintendo

My son has a nintendo system. They have many screens that are designed just for PS1. But without actual AV ports (like on the front of a TV) how do you get the data from the gameplayer (Nintendo) to the screen?

I have never heard of the GamePlayer system, and was unable to find it on doomportables. If you take some pictures of the system(inside system and all 6 sides), I can help you out. Also, do you have a screen yet? If so, what type of screen?

I was just thinking, are you talking about the old NES system(like my pic)? If you are, than I don't need you to take pictures, because I have one open right now(I'm also working on an overclocked NESp).

Attachments

• nes.jpg
    nes.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 913
NES? I will show the pic to my son when I get home. I think it is the same, though. No screen, I am waiting until I know exactly what kind of video inputs are on the screen. That pic will be very helpful-you'll hear from me tonight, thanks.

yes, my son has the NES

So, it is an NES like in your pic. So, what kind of screen would work to make this portable? As I said, there's a type that is designed just for a PS1 that EB Games down the street sells, but would this work?

Something like the Sharp 4LU4EB on earthlcd.com would work - You just need something that will take NTSC input.

bmcculla said:
Something like the Sharp 4LU4EB on earthlcd.com would work - You just need something that will take NTSC input.

Something that can handle NTSC(60Hz) input, and uses composite video. The PS1 screen at EB Games is probably your best choice. You can use either that screen or a HipGear LCD controller screen. Both of those are good because they have the video controller boards included with them.

I personnally prefer the HipGear controller, because after I take the screen off, I can give the rest of the controller to a friend.

For a beginners project, however, I would suggest using the PS1 screen. If you get a good price, you might be able to get it as low as $25. It's inputs are composite video, left audio, and right audio. It makes connection easy, because the NES has the same output.

If you do decide to get this screen, there are 2 really good modifications that I could give you the link to. One raises the maximum brightness level(when you turn the adjustment knob), and the other replaces the backlight with 2 or 3 bright LEDs, which helps save battery power, as well as increase the brightness of the backlight.

great! Thanks

Good then. I'll get the PS1 screen on e-bay. No, I didn't have too much trouble finding one used for sale. My son will be happy. Thanks for advice, everyone. It's great to get a teen interested in learning and doing things these days.

Let us know when you are done.

I also suggest checking out the **broken link removed**. Almost everybody there has created one or more portables, which makes them alot more qualified to help you out with a project like this. I'm a member over there, and everybody is really nice about helping :D .

EDIT: Glad to see that you registerred at beheck.com.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back