Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Gap in the forum "construction" help ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

prof328

It's all very well creating a masterpiece of electronic engineering, but it needs to be housed, and even us hobbyists want our pride and joy to look at least semi-professional.

Whilst there is, as expected, ample electronic expertise on tap, there seems to be nothing on the next step - housing your project.

I have some challenges to overcome, for example, putting numbers on my blank key caps on my number pads, since letraset is no longer available I am looking to get some 6mm white vynl lettering and to give them more longevity I am thinking of coating the key caps with matt shellac nail varnish that is cured by exposure to uv light.

But there doesn't seem to be a section to discuss the construction of enclosures and the finishing touches that are needed.

There are manuf of buttons that supply transparent covers and simple clear mylar in a printer can product the legend.
What I tend to do now is send in a file to to local Lamacoid engraver, they do reverse engraving which means that multi colour legend can be made with no grooving or etching of the front face at all for a complete panel face layover.
Max.

Attachments

• DSCF0195.JPG
    DSCF0195.JPG
    528.6 KB · Views: 249
Construction questions here are just asked in the regular forums. I suggest the Projects forum (second one down) is closest to what you want.

While some might think a separate forum would be a resource, that resource would have much the same limitation as posting the Projects forum, namely the search engine for this forum is pretty primitive.

John

BTW: Rub-on dry transfer are still available in the US. Here is just one example: https://www.amazon.com/American-Cra...201_img_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=1A7J7GNEMFWFB7KD7K7A
However, I think your cut vinyl idea is perhaps even better. Shellac is one option, but I would also consider a water or mild solvent-based polyurethane. The problem with water alone will be beading on the vinyl, but I suspect many of the polyurethane formulations contain methyl ethers, such a glyme, or other organic solvent to avoid that problem.

Last edited:
For enclosures it runs the gamut of $ store containers to electrical hermetically sealed termination boxes and Enclosure suppliers such as Hoffman, to a local tin shop for a custom version.
Max.

Square buttons with clear snap-on caps are available in many colors on eBay. If you print the legend on transparency matertial, the key color will show.

$_1.JPG.jpg

Thanks guys, I am always impressed by the helpful nature of people on here.
Sorry jpanhalt I will post my construction questions in the part of the forum you suggest in future.

The key switches I have used are cherry mx mechanical pc keyboard switches and I don't think the key covers for standard switches will fit.

We don't have a dedicated "Construction" forum because that's more of a mechanical project, whereas we focus primarily on the electronic design aspects. There are thousands of mechanical design websites with forums out on the web that would be better for helping you design enclosures. That being said, many of the members here have experience in both fields, so you are more than welcome to ask your construction questions in the Projects Forum.

Regards,
Matt

One big hint - select the enclosure before you lay out any circuit board. You'll save a lot of headaches that way.

One big hint - select the enclosure before you lay out any circuit board. You'll save a lot of headaches that way.

I have always found that the required enclosure size is always exceeded by the estimated space needed by at least 25%.;)
Max.

It's all very well creating a masterpiece of electronic engineering, but it needs to be housed, and even us hobbyists want our pride and joy to look at least semi-professional.

Whilst there is, as expected, ample electronic expertise on tap, there seems to be nothing on the next step - housing your project.

I have some challenges to overcome, for example, putting numbers on my blank key caps on my number pads, since letraset is no longer available I am looking to get some 6mm white vynl lettering and to give them more longevity I am thinking of coating the key caps with matt shellac nail varnish that is cured by exposure to uv light.

But there doesn't seem to be a section to discuss the construction of enclosures and the finishing touches that are needed.
Decal paper my friend, use a inkjet printer and you can use any font you like and it cheap, I use it alot for lettering on projects.
This is the kind of thing **broken link removed**

Thanks for advice guys as usual.

Decal paper my friend, use a inkjet printer and you can use any font you like and it cheap, I use it alot for lettering on projects.
This is the kind of thing **broken link removed**

Just ordered some clear, will give it a try, thanks.

HP make a clear/transparent film paper that has one side for printing when using the illuminated P.B.'s
Max.
This is the water slide stuff max, I think its part the reason letraset gave up. I use it on all sorts of stuff, if you look around you can get it cheaper than the link I gave it was just handy so I posted it. If using small amounts cut out a square and tape just the very edge to a normal sheet of paper and print on the square

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back