Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Garage with a FROG help

Status
Not open for further replies.

cowboybob

Most Helpful Member
To the learned ALL,

I'm planning to build a simple, 2 car garage with a FROG.

Anyone have an idea which uc to use?...:banghead:

(I gotta quit using that smilie. I swear it's damaging my brain.)

Hi,

Are you building it yourself or contracting it out?

What's a "FROG" relating to garage abbreviations? :confused:

Furnished Room Over Garage. Although BioniC's decoding ain't bad :woot:. And, now that I think about it, a good idea (I was kidding about the uc, but maybe not, now)!

MrAl: Yes, I'm building it myself (with my 35 yo Estwing and a few other tools). Combination garage, studio and guest quarters.

Hoping to do this under the radar to keep it off the County tax books. Not that hard to do if you don't blab it all over the web...

(oops :banghead:)

The only relationship where 'frog' is associated with building, as far as I have learnt, is this...
A 'frog' is the indentation in a brick, which accepts mortar, in order to create a larger surface area and strengthen the brick/mortar joint.
Where the uC came into it was lost on me initially, but then I did wonder if cowboybob intended to build a robotic wall-building contraption......
Perhaps that could be a collaborative project for the robotics section of the site????

Around here, the county contracts with an aerial photogammetry firm, and they lay this years pictures on top of last years pictures, and if they see you built something without getting a permit, they got you...

Furnished Room Over Garage. Although BioniC's decoding ain't bad :woot:. And, now that I think about it, a good idea (I was kidding about the uc, but maybe not, now)!

MrAl: Yes, I'm building it myself (with my 35 yo Estwing and a few other tools). Combination garage, studio and guest quarters.

Hoping to do this under the radar to keep it off the County tax books. Not that hard to do if you don't blab it all over the web...

(oops :banghead:)

Hi Bob,

Well that is interesting. So i guess you have experience in carpentry and maybe a little masonry?

But i do have to ask what did you mean by the abbreviation "uc"? None of us here know what that means. That's what happens when we use too many abbreviations.

Also, FROG to me in this context meant "Family Room Over Garage" but i like your definition too.

Abbreviations are not recommended in first posts <smile>.

Mickster, acronyms are the bane of us all. Especially capitalized ones. In this day and age, something like LOCUSTS (Lots Of Cute, Usless, Stupid Text Shortcuts).

MikeMI, Yes, that would be a problem were it not for the fact that my corner of the world is a tad technologically antediluvian. I hope...

MrAl, back in 1981, my wife asked if I would like to build us a house. I said "Sure!". So I did (design, foundation, framing, plumbing, electrical, roof, the whole thing). Made a few mistakes but the place went through hurricane Hugo losing only 13 shingles. As for the mistakes, my wife didn't ask the operative question which should have been, "Do you know how to build a house?". :woot:

And I used uc as a LOCUST (see above, [SA]) for micro-controller. The post was meant to make you raise your eyebrows and go "HUH ???!!???", although Mickster's comment has got me to thinkin'... just how far can one push a PicAxe, a 555, an LM358, a 2N2222 and a solenoid (throw in an LED for effect)?

TMDA = Too Many Darn Acronyms

Frog is also a weather tight device to swing gates.

I'm planning to build a simple, 2 car garage with a FROG.

As long as it's a bullfrog and you keep dipping him in liquid nitrogen every minute or two he should make a for a pretty good hammer! ;)

I have been typing my messages from my (almost) Empty Spare Room.
As the spare room is on the ground floor, on a hill, partially below ground level, could it be considered Low-ESR?

Mickster, acronyms are the bane of us all. Especially capitalized ones. In this day and age, something like LOCUSTS (Lots Of Cute, Usless, Stupid Text Shortcuts).

MikeMI, Yes, that would be a problem were it not for the fact that my corner of the world is a tad technologically antediluvian. I hope...

MrAl, back in 1981, my wife asked if I would like to build us a house. I said "Sure!". So I did (design, foundation, framing, plumbing, electrical, roof, the whole thing). Made a few mistakes but the place went through hurricane Hugo losing only 13 shingles. As for the mistakes, my wife didn't ask the operative question which should have been, "Do you know how to build a house?". :woot:

And I used uc as a LOCUST (see above, [SA]) for micro-controller. The post was meant to make you raise your eyebrows and go "HUH ???!!???", although Mickster's comment has got me to thinkin'... just how far can one push a PicAxe, a 555, an LM358, a 2N2222 and a solenoid (throw in an LED for effect)?

Hi,

Oh ok ha ha, then i guess it worked because that's what i thought, that "uc" meant "uC" (the way i write it) which means microcontroller, and i had to wonder too because what would we use that for when talking about building a room. Maybe a light controller or something, but usually we talk about that later. There are entire houses though that use a computer to control almost everything in the house including windows because the house is built to be energy efficient. Every possible energy input or output has to be monitored and accounted for in the software so other things can be adjusted. One such house in Connecticut which costs more than a million dollars 30 years ago.
So it is certainly plausible that we may want to use a uC to control certain aspects of the house workings like heating and air conditioning and lighting and who knows what else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back