Gas soldering iron recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheVictim

My circa 1990 butane soldering iron is reaching the end of its useful life and I'm looking to replace it. I want to avoid Ni-Cad irons if I can.

Any good recommendations?

Weller Portasol Pro is good as long as you don't need ultrafine tips or lead-free temperatures.

I have tips in good shape, but the valve isn't working too well. Even if there is gas in it I have to overfill it before each use to get it working again. It has also lost most of its temperature control. I either have to run it full blast or it just quits.

Try cleaning it first. They not usually mechanically complex, it's probably just buildup inside the valve body. Open the valve up as far as it goes and try using compressed air from a can of air to force a cleaning sollution through the valve body, alcohol or vinegar should work okay. If there's any way to completly disassemble the valve to clean it that would be ideal.

I guess an overhaul might be worth the effort. There is a small screw on the valve. I'll vent off the gas and try cleaning it.

Does the piezo igniter sill work?

I'd be impressed if it still does as it's often one or the first things to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…