Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Gearmotor control

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steveisena43

Hi im working on a small home project of lift and lowering a small 1ft square platform by around 2ft. I am going to use a gear motor from an old stairlift to climb along a toothed rack. I would like to fit a limit switch at both bottom and top and use a toggle or push button for control. Im an installation electrician so this isnt really my field. So want to make it as simple as poss. Please can anyone help with perhaps some drawings?

I'm not familiar with stairlift motors. What voltage/current does your motor need? AC or DC?

We do have to know a little bit about the motor and how it reverses. Power requirements would help too.

When the currents are low enough for a micoswitch to bear that puts things in one realm. AC can create all sorts of problems, but it can also be simple if a AC synchronous motor is used. DC can be as simple as two microswitches and two diodes providing the microswitches can carry the motor current.

I had the misfortune of replacing a hoist switch. It was either a 4PDT or a 3PDT ( I can't remember) heavy duty switch with two heavy duty limit switches. The hoist switch was momentary, center off. That wiring was a real nightmare, because it was connected to an induction motor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back