General purpose DAC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sceadwian

Banned
I'm looking for a general multi purpose DAC for hobby use.
Browsing Digikey's parametric selections I'm looking at a Texas Instruments TLC5615. 10bit DAC 8pin DIP. 4 dollars each, 1.5msps max (80khz rail to rail) it's single ended 5 volt, seems to be a pretty good compromise between function price and hobby friendly design.

Anyone have any other suggestions? The main requirement is DIP package and rail to rail output from a single supply, though having the ability to use a dual supply would be nice as well. I'm open to suggestions but the DIP package is a real sticking point and I'd like to keep it under 10 dollars or so.

I've used the DAC0800; it is in a DIL package, I think it was fairly cheap, but I don't recall the data. I used a 100 kHZ clock rate.

There is also the DAC0808.

Did I mention it's something that Digi-key needs to carry in stock? =) I'm trying to flesh out an order of some other parts to avoid the shipping surcharge. They carry both chips you mentioned but only the 0800 in stock and that's in SOIC package.

Suppliers aside from Digikey that also carry Atmel's AVR chips (Tiny85's) and a decent selection of analog components, (I'd like to play around with LM3886 audio amps) and have a general high performance opamp (3mhz unity gain) would be appreciated as well =) I used Digikey because if they have it in stock I can get it in a few days no fuss no muss and they have a monstrous selection. The primary part I need is the tiny85's Digi-key has em. The rest of the order is just to flush it out and make shipping as cheap as possible (it doesn't cost me anything but I'm cost concious)

Last edited:
A lot depends what you're wanting to use it for?, you could just order some resistors and make an R2R ladder D2A.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…