Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Generator set speed setting...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Externet

Hi.
Never had one before until now; a plain Coleman 2500 W 120V with BriggsStratton engine.

Measured its output no load, got 150 V AC 44 Hz. Raised RPM controlling the governor, got to 60 Hz and voltage jumped to 195 V AC.
If I want to set RPM to keep 120V, frequency drops. If I want to keep 60Hz, voltage gets too high.

Afraid of plugging light bulbs and burn them.

If anyone has one, how is it supposed to be set or behave ?

Looks like ----> https://www.nooutage.com/images/ColemanPowermate-pm0422505_300.jpg

Have you an electric fire element, or small kettle, that you could use as a dummy load?

Yes, I can plug a 120VAC 1500W heater; that will bring the voltage down but in the case of using the generator with light loads as a couple of 60W incandescent lamps, am not confident.
OK- I plug the above heater in, then set the speed governor for 120 V ?

This generator has no voltage regulator I can discern; the parts list shows nothing, there is no brushes for the rotor winding nor electronic module. Just 1 capacitor.
Rotor.png
Parts.png

I would get yourself a few 60 watts bulbs (standard incandescent) for a load a try things again. These small units are designed so when the engine RPM is 3600 they should output about 120 VAC @ about 60 HZ. I say about because they are not a very exacting science. I have an old Coleman Powermate 4 KW (5 KW Surge) and under normal running my 120 is around 126 and my 240 is a little over 250 VAC. There isn't much to them or much room for adjustment. A 120 VAC bulb running at around 130 VAC will just have a shorter life. Anyway, try a light load like a 60 watt or two bulbs and see what you get. Additionally as debe mentions there is a cap in there, mine I "think" is 100 uF and a few diodes for field excitation. You can try as suggested a few other capacitor values and see what you get. While I have never messed with the smaller 2.5 KW versions my experience has been that these things do work, not great and not highly well regulated but they do work, especially during emergencies when you really need power. Worst case you will pop a few bulbs at a buck apiece.

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back